Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Law School Application Time

As far as urms, do they take into account wether you were poor, middle class, upper class, etc?

Would a large gap in your undergrad schooling be really bad? Like maybe 4 or 5 years off before going back and graduating?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:11 AM

FWIW I had a 162 and a ~3.6 in biology and Berkeley was a reach for me, didn't get in. Also didn't get into UCLA, which I would've loved to.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I had a 162 and a ~3.6 in biology and Berkeley was a reach for me, didn't get in. Also didn't get into UCLA, which I would've loved to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been reading the forums on top-law-schools.com a bunch lately, and they seem to really know what they are talking about over there. Being a white male with a 3.6/165 and no exceptional story, my chances at Berkeley are next to 0 according to them. UCLA is even considered to be a reach for me.

I'm now considering waiting a year to apply. My senior year grades could boost my GPA as high as 3.75, and considering I put a grand total of about 10 hours into LSAT prep, I'm quite certain I could raise that score significantly too. Plus another year of work experience or possibly travelling the world couldn't hurt. Think I will apply to some schools this year, and take it if I get any really good offers, but otherwise wait and not lower myself to a T-50 or something when I know I could be good enough to do T-14.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM

Scotty,

If I were you, I'd hold off for a year and retake LSAT. The way you describe things, this year you seem likely candidate for a Rank 20-50 school, whereas you could boost your grades, boost your LSAT and then either go to a much better school or at least get some free $$$ for going to a non-top school.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM

You should think twice before going to law school. It's a lot of tuition money for 3 years of grilling.

Do more research! http://lawschooladvice.blogspot.com/
Old 11-17-2007, 11:36 PM

Required reading before going to law school

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119040786780835602.html
Old 11-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Looks like Mr. Bullock is going to be looking for a job soon!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:58 PM

Alright, not to be a massive arrogant dick(as I'm still in my first semester and posting on 2p2 instead of doing work so all this stuff below may very well apply to me in 2.5 years), but from my experience at a borderline Tier 1 school the issue is that some significant percentage of the students here are morons(e.g. again, me). Of course no one will want to hire a random moron and pay him $120k. Morons who are related to you are another story, but I really don't think someone who finished in the bottom quartile at UofHouston should be on easy street.

Loyola-LA is what, like the 7th best law school in California(which has like 10 Tier 2 and better law schools and and roughly a billion TTTs)? No [censored] you aren't going to get a good job unless you excel there, you've got to compete with all the graduates from the better schools and then all the people who excelled at the worse schools.

That one woman is having trouble after having graduated from "second-tier Chicago-Kent College of Law, one of six law schools in the Chicago area. Despite graduating near the top half of her class..". Wow, what a surprise. Did the other 5 law schools become accredited after her enrollment?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Required reading before going to law school

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119040786780835602.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm much too prestigious to read an article with this title
Old 11-18-2007, 10:46 PM

I have question that I can not find a concrete answer for. How do law school admissions weigh GPAs and majors? I have heard they check your GPA vs. your school's average GPA for that major, is this true? Also, is there any benefit to applying with a mathematics or philosphy major over something like sociology?