Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-04-2007, 08:55 AM

Default 1k Prop bet help...

My friend who is a mid stakes player on stars has offered me a win/no lose prop bet. The bet is I must start with $20 and start at 1c/2c, then 2c/5c then finally 5c/10c. I must play NLHE and at least 15k hands at each level with a + bb/100. Also I must have 10x buy in for the next level before moving up. If I can do this he is offering me a 1k bankroll to play 25c/50c with no strings attatched and some coaching ( He plays 200 - 400 NL on Stars)

I think I can do this very very easily but he says I have got no chance as there are too many fish at these levels. Is the best stratergy to just play my normal game and hopefully pull through or play like a really tight nit.

I am thinking about playing 6max aswell but I think that will be a bad idea so im starting with full ring.

Just thought Id post it here to see if anyone had any advice or if they have done anything like this before.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Re: 1k Prop bet help...

Good Luck Mate

the 1c/2c will be the toughest, too many fish, once you reach the next one if your any sort of player you should be ok

but your in for a hell of a grind, i have played 10 000+ at each of these levels

great opportunity though so give it your best and good luck
Old 11-04-2007, 10:24 AM

NL2 wont be the toughest, just the most boring.

find a table that isnt too aggro preflop, limp with all scs, low-mid pps, unsuited down to 89o.

Raise aa/kk/qq/ak 20bb, if its full of especially loose ppl just open shove pre.

Nl2 is just a grind, dont get tricky, dont put your opponents on a hand, just shove if you like your hand.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

find a table that isnt too aggro preflop, limp with all scs, low-mid pps, unsuited down to 89o.

Raise aa/kk/qq/ak 20bb, if its full of especially loose ppl just open shove pre.

Nl2 is just a grind, dont get tricky, dont put your opponents on a hand, just shove if you like your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. I'll also add that if you hit a set or stronger on a dry board and you get callers, get that stack in, you will get paid off. I know 1c/2c at Stars has a $5 max buyin, are you required to buyin for 100BB or can you buyin for $5?

Edit: Also, can I get the same deal from you friend? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Read up on what Chris Ferguson did to move up like you are trying to do. Follow his example.

Chris Ferguson turns $0 into $10,000 on Full Tilt Poker
Old 11-04-2007, 11:21 AM

And for some encouragement, 1c/2c is definitely beatable:

I played at this level this morning a bit - didn't really feel like playing so I thought I'd mess around at 1c/2c. The top one is from today, the bottom one is mostly from about 2 years ago before I found 2+2.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. I'll also add that if you hit a set or stronger on a dry board and you get callers, get that stack in, you will get paid off. I know 1c/2c at Stars has a $5 max buyin, are you required to buyin for 100BB or can you buyin for $5?

Edit: Also, can I get the same deal from you friend? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He said I can buy in for whatever amount I want, I think buying in for $5 and giving myself only 4 buyins is too much of a risk, I was thinking of starting of buying in for $1 and leaving when I get to $2.

Im donking around on 1c/2c now getting the feel for it, I will officially start tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:15 AM

Just play tight, tight, tight, nothing fancy, be disciplined.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:30 AM

You're right, buying in for 50bb is a great idea if you only have a 1,000bb roll to begin with.

What's all this about 'too many fish'? How is this a problem guys?

Definitely try and avoid marginal spots where you're risking a stack for a very slight profit... but if you're playing on a 50bb stack, you should be good.

You have an awesome friend and you should really give this your best shot. You should also post updates in this thread [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's all this about 'too many fish'? How is this a problem guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I had to read that over and over. Fish are our friends, right!!?? Don't get that part at all. Yeah fish do suck out on us but they also contribute to our winnings more than they suck out.

Case in point, I was playing with a 50BB stack at .01/.02, had QQ UTG, raise it 4xbb, get one caller in the blinds, flop was 7 high, he leads into me for PSB, I go all in he calls. Of course he has A,7o and hits a 7 on the river. I LOVE these guys and seek them out. They are the only way you will move up and win the bet.

Is there a time limit on the bet? Do you have a full time job? If no to both, GO FOR IT and have fun!