Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: could US collapse like the USSR did ?

[ QUOTE ]
With all the overprinting of $ catching up and the US about to go into recession, is it possible for them to collapse like the USSR are did ? I mean they are pretty much bankrupt and that's why their borrowing so much $. What does the US have to fall back on other than selling military weapons? I mean they've shipped so many jobs overseas. Would they be less likely to collapse because they have privitized a lot of things unlike the USSR ? Did the USSR have inflation and overprinting of $ like the US does ?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the ticker tape run while watching Lou Dobbs tonight, $8,000,000,000.00 (that's billion, if you lost count of the zeros) worth of gift card went unclaimed in 2006.

I would think the bulk of that is major corp giving out gift cards to employees and the employees losing them. That's just my guess.

I don't think we'll run outta money so long as the fed keeps printing it and the prez institutes economic policy in secrecy.

Of course the dollar only has 4 cents in value left since the creation of the fed, and I don't know what happens when the dollar is worth -4 cents, except that a lot of retirees, who cannot raise arms against the Monster will be squeezed.

Go Bush! Go Bernake!!!! Come get mine!!
Old 11-13-2007, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No way, countries don't just go and collapse. USSR collapsed because it was run by an extremely unnatural and inefficient regime, and was rotted out from the inside out. The country could no longer satisfy the basic needs of its population, which is kinda sucky for a communist government. The trouble that US is in, real and potential, does not even come close to USSR's troubles.

[/ QUOTE ]

The U.S.S.R. went broke.

http://www.feb.ugent.be/algeco/ceris...ne_ES_2003.pdf
Old 11-13-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No way, countries don't just go and collapse. USSR collapsed because it was run by an extremely unnatural and inefficient regime, and was rotted out from the inside out. The country could no longer satisfy the basic needs of its population, which is kinda sucky for a communist government. The trouble that US is in, real and potential, does not even come close to USSR's troubles.

[/ QUOTE ]

The U.S.S.R. went broke.

http://www.feb.ugent.be/algeco/ceris...ne_ES_2003.pdf

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, thank you for information, I didn't know that. USSR did go broke, but going broke is not nearly enough for the country to fall apart. USSR has plenty of other factors that caused it to fall apart.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not so certain about the FED. They just cut rates twice (printing more money) with the $ at longtime lows. They are feeding the devaluation of the currency instead of actally stabalizing it. The gubment continues to spend more and more and more of imaginary money it does not have racking up enormous debt.

[/ QUOTE ]

This point is debatable. I don't believe there is any conspiracy to wreck the US economy by the FED. I can't see them taking any action that will directly result in harming the country. After all, they are the biggest stake holders. See Adios' post below.

[ QUOTE ]
As for muscle to back up the promise, what happens when they can no longer afford to pay the people who man that muscle in anything other than a hyperinflating currency? Do you think they are going to stick around?

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see here, draft, involuntary extensions, recall, or maybe pay from the spoils (the least likely). You are forgetting the threat of the US prison system and coercive power the service does so enjoy using on its members.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:45 AM

I wouldn't go so far as to say the FED is part of some conspiracy but they certainly are not afraid to knowingly flirt with danger and support political objectives at the expense of sound fiscal policy.

[ QUOTE ]

Let's see here, draft, involuntary extensions, recall, or maybe pay from the spoils (the least likely). You are forgetting the threat of the US prison system and coercive power the service does so enjoy using on its members.

[/ QUOTE ]

"When the rule of law no longer governs, all they'll have left is tyranny, and I will not live under that yoke!"

All of the measures you suggest could be used to forcibly keep members in the armed services are more likely to repulse them even further.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 AM

No country producing $13 trillion a year, with a large middle class, huge amounts of private capital, and strong international leadership in many industries is going bankrupt any time soon. Sorry.

The US might hit a bad recession for a few years but that's as nasty as it will get.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't go so far as to say the FED is part of some conspiracy but they certainly are not afraid to knowingly flirt with danger and support political objectives at the expense of sound fiscal policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This I cannot argue with.

[ QUOTE ]
All of the measures you suggest could be used to forcibly keep members in the armed services are more likely to repulse them even further.

[/ QUOTE ]

All the things I mention already repulse members of the military and I can think of several instances of recall and involuntary extensions recently. What you point out has absolutely no bearing on the military's decision making process. They simply don't care. Something about the mission being more important than the lives of the men. I think you have to convert to that belief before they promote you beyond a certain level.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No country producing $13 trillion a year, with a large middle class, huge amounts of private capital, and strong international leadership in many industries is going bankrupt any time soon. Sorry.

The US might hit a bad recession for a few years but that's as nasty as it will get.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not talking about a country with all that wealth, you are talking about corporations, of whom many of its shareholders are foreigners.

What the U.S.A. has: 50 trillion in obligations to its citizens and an approaching 10 trillion national debt.