Old 10-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
and David Wright.

No way.

[/ QUOTE ]

David Wright is a substantially superior defensive third baseman to A-Rod. Maybe not in 2008, but over the next 7 years or so DW should produce a lot more value than A-Rod.

[/ QUOTE ]

2007 VORP
ARod 96.6
Wright 81.1

Surprised in looking at 2007 UZR data that Wright was not in top three 3B. Initially I thought for sure the defensive difference would be 15 runs. But regardless, Wright could definitely outproduce ARod in 2008 and I would personally rather have him than ARod on my team.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i can't believe all you people talking about not wanting ARod. I will repeat what I said earlier: I would give my right testicle for him becoming a Cardinal, long term.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't speak for anyone else but I never said I didn't want him; I just said I'd rather have Utley than Arod for the next 10 years. Besides we gave you Rolen, you should be set at 3B for 10 years, right???
Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet this decision wasn't about money, or more accurately that money is probably the least important reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much spot on imo DC. I said back in the old thread that if he opts out and leaves NY, than most likely he has been planning on doing that for awhile. And the tough times he had last two seasons ago, and how he was treated probably had huge influence on him.

The fact that he didn't even seriously consider or negotiate with the Yankees, and opted out earlier than he had to also makes me think all this.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Saying that someone may be end up the greatest baseball player off all time, but that isn't much else, when being the greatest player of all time is enough imo is that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being the greatest baseball player of all time does not equal being a World Series champion, DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Its called EV dude. Seriously. Having aces does not equal winning the pot either.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if personality is a completely meaningless contribution to a team, why does Eckstein have two rings and A-Rod none?

[/ QUOTE ]

With that said, it's 100% definite you're just trolling / not remotely serious. Fortunately, I don't feed the trolls. Unfortunately, everyone else on this forum does.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Boras already has a commitment from the Cubs for a 10-year $300,000,000 deal including an ownership interest at the back end. Or something similar. A-Rod will end up with 800+ home runs if he finishes his career as a Cub.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't be surprised if Boras already has a commitment from the Cubs for a 10-year $300,000,000 deal including an ownership interest at the back end. Or something similar. A-Rod will end up with 800+ home runs if he finishes his career as a Cub.

[/ QUOTE ]
Except aren't the Cubs up for sale? I can't imagine that potential buyers would be thrilled with Arod getting an ownership stake.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:10 PM

A Rod and Boras better have a copy of Mitchell's report sitting on their desks, because if A Rod's name is in it this is going to look pretty stupid if they don't already have a signed deal somewhere else.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Saying that someone may be end up the greatest baseball player off all time, but that isn't much else, when being the greatest player of all time is enough imo is that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being the greatest baseball player of all time does not equal being a World Series champion, DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Its called EV dude. Seriously. Having aces does not equal winning the pot either.

[/ QUOTE ]

The probability of all past events is 1.0. EV has nothing to do with it.

The greatest player is the one who has achieved the greatest performances. The only quibble is what the definition of greatest performance is, whether it involves having won a championship. A player who hits 250 homeruns in a season but doesn't win a championship can not go back and argue that his 250 homeruns is more likely to have won his team a championship, unless he has a time machine.

If you ask me what hand I want tomorrow, it will be aces. If you ask me what hand I wanted yesterday, it may not be aces.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A Rod and Boras better have a copy of Mitchell's report sitting on their desks, because if A Rod's name is in it this is going to look pretty stupid if they don't already have a signed deal somewhere else.

[/ QUOTE ]
If they already had a signed deal somewhere else the Mitchell report will be the least of their worries [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]