View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

[ QUOTE ]
I just think its unfair to be like "[censored] you A-Rod for leaving," when a large amount of people were booing the hell out him before this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree but thinking people should act "fairly" is giving people way too much credit. Thinking the overwhelming majority of Yankee fans would act that way is just holy-cow-never-going-to-happen.

I'm a Yankee fan and I don't hate that the Sox won the series (don't care) or think we should let Arod leave. Any fan who thinks Arod wouldn't make their team better is retarded and deserves precisely none of your time. But I am very much the minority.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But if personality is a completely meaningless contribution to a team, why does Eckstein have two rings and A-Rod none?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're in college please sign up for a philosophy course called "Logic." If you're not yet in college but planning on going do the same. If you've graduated please go back--you've been cheated.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 PM

Dear A-Rod,

We'd love to have you as our third baseman. You'd be an upgrade over our current guy.

Signed,

Every MLB Team

/story

a) He's a swinger (*high five*)
b) He can plain out mash and is the awesome

I mean, he doesn't hug babies and make animal balloons for kids, but I'll sacrifice my warm and fuzzy feelings for 130 RBI's k thx.

Name a player you'd pay more money for right now.

You can't.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For all of those proclaiming the Yankees as a non-playoff team without A-Rod, could you please share your thoughts on the 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003 teams?

How on earth did they continuously go deep into the playoffs without him then?

Also, please state the four teams that will make the playoffs above the Yankees more often than not.

[/ QUOTE ]
1. Scott Brosious has a lotta heart lol.
2. They had good pitching when they were winning.
3. It is possible to win without having the best player in the game on your team. It is just less likely. With the Yankees' payroll, they should be in playoff contention every year, yet may still be making suboptimal decisions. DUCY?
4. I can't wait for the Yankees to sign all the veterans with "character" and "leadership."
5. May you be cursed with subpar 3rd basemen for years to come.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am a proponent for the Yankees not resigning A-Rod IF it helps them acquire dominant pitching. As shown repeatedly, pitching wins championships. Sure, a quality lineup will help you get to the playoffs, but let's not be insane...an Arod-less lineup replaced by a mediocre 3b is still very good (even if it is for just the next year.) I know many of you will say they are getting old and declining, but I am just talking about NEXT YEAR. With their roster as it is, there is not a rational explanation of saying four other teams will make the playoffs more often than the Yankees.

Also, this talk about an unlimited bankroll is ridiculous. Of course there is a limit. If there wasn't, why wouldn't the best player at every position be on the team? Would Melky Cabrera be the starting CF on a team with an unlimited bankroll?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the Yankees signing A-Rod would have a negative influence on them attaining upgrades at pitcher. They have a bunch of very high paid players coming off the books in the next few years. If they have the money to pay Clemens a million per start, I don't think they'd have a problem paying Santana (just an example) $25 million when Giambi, Clemens, Mussina, Damon (in 2 years), and possibly Abreu are coming off the payroll in the next couple seasons.

I don't think there is any correlation between losing A-Rod and gaining pitching and vice-versa. If anything, losing A-Rod may make them make a panic move to trade for a 3b, which would in turn take young prospects and hurt the team even more.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 PM

I don't want to x-post here, but check out my post on the Yanks off-season thread and let me know what you think of my opinion on what they need to do.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But if personality is a completely meaningless contribution to a team, why does Eckstein have two rings and A-Rod none?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're in college please sign up for a philosophy course called "Logic." If you're not yet in college but planning on going do the same. If you've graduated please go back--you've been cheated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, a poster is more interested in trying to get a snarky insult in rather than comprehending the post.

Obviously, Eck doesn't have two rings because of his spark plug personality, but it seems the argument that 25 A-Rods is guaranteed to win is equally invalid, and irrelevent (which was my point in the first place), because it is an impossibility to happen.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear A-Rod,

We'd love to have you as our third baseman. You'd be an upgrade over our current guy.

Signed,

Every MLB Team

/story

a) He's a swinger (*high five*)
b) He can plain out mash and is the awesome

I mean, he doesn't hug babies and make animal balloons for kids, but I'll sacrifice my warm and fuzzy feelings for 130 RBI's k thx.

You can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

josh Beckett
Old 10-29-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming you mean just for 2008, I would pay more for Albert Pujols and David Wright.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not.

But name a player you would willing sign today if that player would take up 1/3 (or more) of your entire team's payroll right now. Right now, A-Rod's salary is around 40% (or over) of what the Rockies' payroll was. There was enough complaint about Helton's being over 1/4 (and justifiably so).

I don't think there's anyone I'd sign for that much of my total payroll, but others can certainly feel differently.