Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: SportsCenter\'s Who\'s Now Tournament

I caught a snippet of this last night, it was on in the background. I was horrified to see the likes of Michael Wilbon having a debate about who was more "NOW", Dwyane Wade vs. some EXTREME SPORTS KID. Yeah, I get that he was a snowboarder in the olympics or something but it was just so contrived it was embarrassing, and I couldn't believe that Wilbon or the others didn't break out laughing when trying to prop up this lame concept.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:29 PM

Wilbon and some of the others seem to be getting more and more used to this contrived stuff by now.

I guess this is a slightly more dead-time for sports. You pretty much have some good MLB races, Wimbledon, and whatever the hell is happening in NASCAR.
And then the All-Star weekend is just a lot of HR Derby, minor-league all-star games, and guys buddying around and being really happy to be at the event, blah blah. And all the mid-season check-up type stuff that they'll do with the BBTN crew.

Haven't seen the Now stuff on Sportscenter yet. But I feel so old-school in that I really dislike the direction they have gone with a lot of this stuff.

Budweiser Hot Seat was the stupidest thing I ever saw right from the start. Do I really need a 2-3 minute segment to find out whether Bruce Willis is a fan of the Lakers or whatever?

The Sportscenter reset thing I thought was pretty strange too.

I think they don't mind as much making Sportscenter more entertainment and silly because now more and more people have ESPNNews.
So there's less of an obligation at SC to keep it so professional and journalistic and more of a feeling that now they can experiment a little and just do all those silly things.

The 50 states in 50 days thing actually wasn't completely terrible imo. Especially when compared to some of this other stuff.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:48 PM

I stopped watching SC about a year ago because of crap like this. About 80% of SC is now Access Hollywood/ET type bs and maybe 20% actual real sports. I'm sooo sick of it. I really wish another sports channel would start acting like ESPN from 10 years ago, so I could watch that.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
on the list of crap things they do: My Wish. What a joke that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFFT

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-03-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I stopped watching SC about a year ago because of crap like this. About 80% of SC is now Access Hollywood/ET type bs and maybe 20% actual real sports. I'm sooo sick of it. I really wish another sports channel would start acting like ESPN from 10 years ago, so I could watch that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been watching Sports Night torrents last couple days. If that show was really on the air it would so cool!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 04:05 PM

Anyone know is SC's ratings have dropped? If they have, I wouldn't be surprised if some executive dreamt this up to boost ratings. But they need to realize people use to watch sportscenter for highlights and that was it. Now it is all about entertainment.

For sports highlights I watch two stations. FSC's soccer highlight show and ESPN news because all ESPN news shows is highlights and news, none of this other crap.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:13 PM

Nothing is worse than the 50 states in 50 days segment from last year. As soon as I saw this "Who's Now" bit I realized it was time for their mid summer minutes eater. So contrived. And the seeding is completely off. Matt leinert is an 8 vs a 1 while that snowboarder guy is a 5 vs Dwayne Wade's 4. With Stuart Scott trying to sell the panel on his X game accomplishments. I can just imagine a whole month of this crap, but at least the T.I. song is better than Bryan Adams.

I am looking forward to the day in the life with a sports star bit though. Jeff Garcia did nothing to squash those creepy gay rumors in his bit. Something about the voice is so douche chills.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:15 PM

SC should put soccer highlights on right now. There are several big tournaments going, plus MLS. [censored] ESPN. I hate you for literally everything but live sports.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:43 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

setanta sports ftw.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:48 PM

I love how matchup involving a hot girl is like "droool, she's pretty". Which I guess, is true. But it just confirms what a joke this whole thing is.

This thing is a trainwreck. I have DVR and I have the power to skip it, but I end up watching it anyways. Damn you SC.