Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2006, 08:28 AM

Default Party 200NL, put myself in bad position.

The hand:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

SB ($211.96)
BB ($301.70)
UTG ($70)
UTG+1 ($31.20)
Hero ($382)
MP2 ($197.25)
MP3 ($195.80)
CO ($437.48)
Button ($218.02)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $8, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($19) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $13</font>, CO calls $13.

Turn: ($45) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $35</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $99</font>, CO calls $64.

River: ($243) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $243

CO appears to be pretty loose and willingly to play big pots . I don't know if he's really good.

Picked up KK and made standard raise, got called by CO and I got a good flop without any big draws. I lead out pretty weak because I want action with this flop, dont I ? CO fastcalls and i thought that meant he doesn't have much, mostlikely one pair. I decided to check raise on turn based on my read on flop, sure enough he came out firing. I thought about a second just calling and let him hang himself and maybe use a little pot control but decided to check raise him. CO fastcalled, my first impression was that I was still ahead because he fastcalled, so he didnt think about reraising, i got to be ahead right ?. So then the river.. Now I realized where I had gotten myself into. We were pretty deep when starting the hand and my check raise on turn and the bad river card got me in pretty ugly situation. The Q is a bad card aswell as third heart coming out. I have 250$ behind me on the river and CO covers. Whats my line here ? Also comment on my play on previous streets.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Party 200NL, put myself in bad position.

Im probably just calling the turn here for pot control especially facing a strong turn bet from villian. I do not want this pot getting out of control in this situation. Also if you are going to raise the turn make it more than 60 he had 3-1 odds on that.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:41 AM

That turn check raise is painful. Either check / call or lead out. I prefer leading out, make top pair pay you off.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 AM

Well checking induces a bluff in this spot a large % of time to if you decide to take this line, you generally have to be willing to pay it up as well.

But I think since you take the line, you could make the CR a bit more. After the call, the situation is very ugly and I don't think it'd be too bad to check+call a reasonable bet there. If you're betting, you pretty much want to block him from betting, your hand is very vulnerable and you'd probably have to lay it down to a poosh.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:48 PM

I realized that i totally didn't think about beeing 200BB deep, if I only had 100BB this hand would have played itself the way I played, and that is no big river decisions since I would have only had 70-80$ on the river for easy push.

Well I made a blocking bet of 115$ on the river leaving 150$ behind, he thought long and folded. I dont know what i could have done if he pushed. Oh well next time I wont put myself in to that spot.