Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Limped 6-max hand

$20 six max hand, just moved to table.

Flop play and line for the rest of the hand?

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $50/$100
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $4890
UTG+1: $2305
CO: $2835
Button: $3410
SB: $1720
Hero: $2815

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $100 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $150)</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was $250)</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($300, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Limped 6-max hand

Probe bet 150 and see what happens. I would prob fold to a raise of my probe bet
Old 07-19-2007, 07:26 PM

Nah. Check behind, whatever someone calls/raises with is gonna leave you in an ugly spot. If the turn is a blank, and SB checks again, I would THEN probe, as it also serves as a value bet while controlling the pot. No need to go to war here.

Barry
Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 PM

I think that flop misses enough limped hands that the probe bet is a profitable move. If you check behind and turn is a blank SB is betting and then you have a tough decision with no information and second pair and a tiny flush draw.

I take the line of betting half pot.
If SB calls I fold to a bet on turn
If SB raises I got the info I need to lay it down and I know I am way behind.

Checking may not be a bad move, and I certainly may be dead wrong here, but it puts you in a tough spot on later streets which is why I bet here every time.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM

I almost always check here and see how UTG+1 reacts, as well as seeing how the SB reacts if UTG+1 bets.

I think i probably play this situations very weak tight in fact but i I don't ever really see the benefit of trying to play these spots more aggressively.

Depending on the player, I might check call a bet sometimes or just check fold. I hate leading this flop as you are getting raised/called by such a wide range that you really have no idea when called/raised where you stand on the turn and inevitably end up check folding a bunch of the time on the turn.

As i said, depending on the player, i check call, re-eval turn some of the time, and the other times i probably check fold flop.

Oops, just missed that this was 6max, I definitely check call flop if UTG+1 bets and SB folds.

If SB calls a bet, I probably just fold.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nah. Check behind, whatever someone calls/raises with is gonna leave you in an ugly spot. If the turn is a blank, and SB checks again, I would THEN probe, as it also serves as a value bet while controlling the pot. No need to go to war here.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-19-2007, 08:09 PM

I'd check here and see what happens. We have good relative position on the player most likely to bet (even though he didn't raise PF) so let's use it.

I'd bet a turn blank for value if it is checked around.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:27 PM

Check/call reasonable (1/2 pot or less) bet by UTG+1 only if SB folds. Check turn and see what UTG+1 does.

If it checks around I call a reasonable bet by SB or lead a blank turn. Going cautiously after that if I get any takers.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:49 AM

I think everyone's advice here is very good and very standard. For whatever reason, I decided that I probably had the best hand and that I should bet (2/3 pot - 200). This obviously bloats the pot agaisnt rag aces and kings, but all hearts call.

UTG+1 calls relatively quickly, SB folds.

Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check. Villain checks. River is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I?
Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 AM

Check/call small bet at least. Geez I feel like a station calling here if he has an ace but at least this way we pick off a bluff by villian.

I'm not sure the % of the time villian was drawing here vs. the times he was scared of the flush but has an ace.