Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:43 AM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

We've seen a bunch since my post above. Here are the last four (minus one which would ruin the symmetry.):

Bullit -- McQueen. Quite a good police detective story, it holds up well.

Baby the Rain must fall -- McQueen. I'd only seen part of this previously, and found it even better than I expected it to be. Ignore the bad music dubbing and this is a fine, moving performance. Beautiful cinematography as well.

East of Eden -- Dean. Had never seen this. It's superb and moving. It cued me into how he became a legend. More wonderful cinematography here.

Rebel Without a Cause -- Dean. Another great one. Man, Dean was better than I'd thought or remembered. I walked around the house crying, "Your tearin' me APART!" for an hour afterward.

I know a more sophisticated viewer would be following directors, not just actors, but well...
Old 03-20-2007, 12:47 PM

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

This is a film about the adventures of the two minor characters from 'Hamlet', and gives their story at around the same time as the story of Hamlet. Several times they intersect with 'Hamlet' scenes, and take part in them, as apprropriate. In the mean time, they have their own conversations that spans all sorts of things, including the meaning of life, the meaning of words and so on. It's frantic, and the leads are Tim Roth and Gary Oldman. It's obviously a stage adaptation, and while not a great movie, it's not bad at all. Funny, surreal, and just a bit oddball.

Those really familiar with Hamlet will be particularly amused, I think.

24 Hour Party People

The story of Tony Wilson, Joy Division + New Order, Happy Mondays, and the whole Manchester music scene...I liked this film a lot. It used the device of the main character talking to the camera and being extremely self-referencing (introducing the real people as part of a scene and letting them comment on the actors playing them and what they're doing, for example), but I did enjoy.

It reminded me what a tremendous band Joy Division were, and also made me realise how great the Happy Mondays were in fusing indie music with dance music in a really terrific way.

Yep, I enjoyed it.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:22 AM

I saw Stranger Than Fiction tonight. I expected to be dissapointed but I really liked it.

I actually started watching Boyz In The Hood (which I saw mentioned earlier in this thread) for the second time. I stopped about half-way through because I felt it was just slapping me in the face with what it wanted to teach. I really liked it the first time around but not so much the second time. I dunno.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw Stranger Than Fiction tonight. I expected to be dissapointed but I really liked it.

I actually started watching Boyz In The Hood (which I saw mentioned earlier in this thread) for the second time. I stopped about half-way through because I felt it was just slapping me in the face with what it wanted to teach. I really liked it the first time around but not so much the second time. I dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you say that. The first time I saw Boyz In The Hood I thought it was the greatest movie I'd ever seen. I saw it again about 6 months ago and felt it was contrived and, like you said, not the least bit subtle. However, it did provide us with the now immortal bit of dialogue "I'll suck your [censored] for some blow".
Old 03-21-2007, 11:54 PM

Dave Chapelle's Block Party -
At some time before he pulled out the FU for comedy central and went to find himself, Dave decided to throw a big party in the streets of Brooklyn, invite all his favorite rappers to perform, and let the audience in for free. Very cool thing to do, and as the documentary around this party unfolds I got the feeling that Dave did it because he's genuinely a very nice and down to earth guy who wants to do right by people. You get some glimpses into his discomfort with his own stardom, which is a good precursor to what happens a few months after the show. I loved the people from his home town of Dayton, Ohio who he buses into New York, the marching band, the crazy couple who's house is right behind the stage, all of them. This documentary wouldn't have worked had it not been for some good musical performances too, of which Dead Prez, Mos Def, and the reunited Fugees delivered. All in all a good concert film with the added bonus of some insight into the life of Dave Chapelle and some of the people from his neighborhood. 3.5/5
Old 03-21-2007, 11:59 PM

Oh cool. I might have to check this out. Nice review.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:28 AM

rosenstrasse is a moving film dealing with the rarely mentioned trials of intermarried couples in war-time germany. and, oh goody, showed some of my favourite spots in sweet berlin.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:27 AM

a further note on stranger than fiction. first of all, forgot to mention that emma thompson was exceptional in her role as karen eiffel. felt bad for neglecting that, as emma surely trolls these forums and would've felt a twinge of sadness at my carelessness. watched all the extras tonight before having to return the dvd. quite like zach and marc and everyone involved. stuff like this that makes me pine for involvement in the industry. by far the best wannabe filmmaker in school and haven't made anything since. however, these feelings are keeping the guy who works weekends at joe's gas with enough money to make his mortgage payments.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:32 PM

ONG BAK

Yah, it was a pretty good martial arts movie, with the star Tony Jaa doing some phenomenal fighting. Definitely worth catching. One bit made me laugh was when he had to fight a guy called 'mad dog'. Now, most of his opponents were credible and scary, but 'mad dog'...he was just some wimpy guy made up to look tough. He didn't even fight, he just kep hitting Jaa with tables and chairs and stuff. He must have been the producers son or something... it was pretty obviously silly compared to the rest of the movie.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:58 PM

Aguirre: Wrath of God

Made in 1972 and directed by Werner Herzog, this tracks a movie about conquistadors trying to find the legendary El Dorado in the midst of thick jungle. Klaus Kinski is the power-mad (and just mad) Aguirre.

This is a really terrific movie. It has an opening scene that is jaw-dropping the longer it goes on, and Kinski is electric as the driven, nutty Aguirre, constantly driving uncertain men on.

It's like watching a beautiful dream. A really kick-in-the-head, stunning movie.
Closed Thread