Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2006, 12:16 PM

Default Tom McEvoy - Classless

I just got through watching the telecast of the 1983 WSOP Main Event and I must say that Tom McEvoy's reaction to winning was just about the most classless display I have ever seen from a poker player.

Standing on his seat and whooping before diss'ing the Texas old-boys in his interview was hard to watch.

I noticed that Mason has no time for McEvoy in his book review from the magazine this month, and now I can see why.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Tom McEvoy - Classless

I'm not attempting to justify what he did, but you'd have to know a little background to the story.

At the time, McEvoy was grinding it out at 5/10 and 10/20. When he won the ME he became the first satellite entrant to do so since the WSOP's inception. He was so stoked after his win that he tipped the dealers $25,000 and the security guards $1000 each. I would imagine his erratic behavoir was all due to the overwhelming euphoria one would get winning something as big as the WSOP. He obviously forgot the simple fact that he had sold off 66% of himself before the tourney started, and in fact got to keep less than $200k of the $580k he won. Karma would eventually come back to bite him in the ass, as he did not win another major tourney for 15 years.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Tom McEvoy - Classless

robracing- The one time I ran into him a couple years ago, he was drunk, loud, and obnoxious. Your report does not surprise me.