Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

gump,

Maybe Alobar isn't saying that. I don't know. I know what I'm saying and it seems that the lot of you don't seem to see where I'm coming from.

You keep talking about how we're talking about kids doing it to other kids, etc. I'm not. I'm saying that what makes this incident particularly pathetic is the fact that it was an adult doing it. I don't think that it's any more harmful (necessarily) to the victim because it is an adult. However, when you look at the intentions of a [bully child vs. bully adult] against a victim child, you're talking about some leagues of difference here.

I am getting the impression that some of you aren't considering it to be all that different from the tormentor's side. That is the best I can do at the moment to respond to your "huh?"

And I'm not saying it's "standard kid stuff." I do think that it is much much worse if an adult is doing it.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:25 PM

mbillie et al.,

My concern isn't even about the legal issues, I guess...which is what you're arguing. I was just getting a heavy impression that most of you don't think that it is any worse because it is adults doing it.

I am pretty sure I echo Alobar's thought...but they're a little jumbled in this thread so I can't be sure. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 03:26 PM

Is it weird that I think the more "fair" outcome is the parents getting killed rather than being sued or punished by jail? These parents are scum of the earth.

Too bad they can't be charged for murder.

They should make signs that say "Murderers live here!" to put out on their lawn.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree it's more wrong, ethically, for grown adults to do it than it is for kids to do it. I guess I was just using that to illustrate that it provides a difficulty in legislating this sort of thing, because there are gray areas. I obviously think what the parents did was repulsive. I just don't think that money should compensate the bereaved in this case, (although I recognize that the way things are now, it does or likely would if they went that way) because of the reasons above, etc

I realize re-reading these that I'm not being very clear, the bold is just to try to better illustrate my point

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think they should be compensated monetarily, do you think they should be forced to move out of the community or some other alternative punishment?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why are we arguing it? I know it's deplorable, I agree it's deplorable. It's not murder though

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is saying it's murder.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree it's more wrong, ethically, for grown adults to do it than it is for kids to do it. I guess I was just using that to illustrate that it provides a difficulty in legislating this sort of thing, because there are gray areas. I obviously think what the parents did was repulsive. I just don't think that money should compensate the bereaved in this case, (although I recognize that the way things are now, it does or likely would if they went that way) because of the reasons above, etc

I realize re-reading these that I'm not being very clear, the bold is just to try to better illustrate my point

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't think they should be compensated monetarily, do you think they should be forced to move out of the community or some other alternative punishment?

[/ QUOTE ]

as crappy as it is, I think legally nothing should happen. I obviously think the offending family should move, etc. I just think that, while in this case it is clearly their fault, setting precedent for punishment in these sorts of cases opens up a lot of gray area.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:28 PM

To reiterate,

The thing that pisses me off the most is that the parents don't even feel guilty about it (outside of the obvious things that piss me off).

BLARRRRRR.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:29 PM

The parents that did this are total scum obv, and I would not hold it against the parents of the dead girl if they killed them (obv they'd go to jail/face consequences/whatever, but ethically, I wouldn't be too turned off), I just think that it's the edge of a slippery slope legally is all.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:30 PM

Hypothetical: Instead of killing herself she goes on a shooting rampage and kills a bunch of people at school. You guys holding myspace trickster liable for those deaths?