Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 PM

Default senator roberts of KS returned my email

Mr. Tony Bigcharles

215 S Bell Ave Apt 124

Lyons, KS 67554-2846

Dear Mr. Bigcharles:

Thank you for your letter regarding online gambling. I appreciate your taking the time to get in touch.

Provisions that curb online gambling were included last year as part of a larger bill to enhance security at our nation's ports, the SAFE Port Act. I supported the SAFE Port Act because it is central to the protection of America's busiest ports. This legislation allocates grants based on risk, expands planning, and establishes a pilot program for enhanced cargo inspections. These are landmark steps that help secure our nation's borders without compromising economic viability. The SAFE Port Act passed Congress and was signed into law (P.L. 109-347) by the president last October.

Provisions to curb online gambling were included in the SAFE Port Act due to concerns that terrorists could use gambling websites as a means to launder money. While some believe that banning online gambling is good for social well-being and homeland security, others argue that it should be regulated and taxed by the government. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind should the Senate reopen the debate surrounding online gambling.

------------------------------------------------------------he really didnt address what i talked about. i was disappointed in his reply too.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: senator roberts of KS returned my email

[ QUOTE ]
Provisions to curb online gambling were included in the SAFE Port Act due to concerns that terrorists could use gambling websites as a means to launder money.

[/ QUOTE ]

First I've heard of this. I wonder if he just assumes this or if that's what Frist told him? Of course, there's been exactly zero proof that terrorists have received a dime from online gambling. On the other hand, there's quite a bit of proof that the US gives money to Palestine--which harbors many terrorist groups--but that is a different story.

Overall, about the same response I got from my Senator. Thanks for sharing.