Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Heyman: Miggy is on the block.

[ QUOTE ]

They obviously want to get the best they can get for him, but there is no doubt cutting cost is the number one reason they are trading him. There is no other reason to trade a 24 year old player with 4 HOF caliber seasons already under his belt.

They realize that they can't resign him when his deal is up, so they want to get the best they can get for him. Will it be equal value? Most likely not, but its hard to get equal value for a guy who is as good as he is at his young age.

This is my question, If you can't keep a player like Cabrera in an city with a large Hispanic demographic than what is the point of having a franchise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how the Hispanic demographic would really affect what happens...they need a stadium. Unfortunately until that happens they don't plan to spend any more than they are now, sucks for the fans but what can you do. The thing is, obviously the way things are now they could never resign him when he's eligible for free agency, but that isn't for another 2 years. He isn't that expensive now, and I still stand by my opinion that the Marlins are not far from being a very competitive team in the NL east. They only need to vastly improve their starting pitching from last season, which would not require that much. So, if they are able to get 2 starters for Cabrera, then it would be a good trade, if not they should keep him as he is the best offensive player they have.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

They obviously want to get the best they can get for him, but there is no doubt cutting cost is the number one reason they are trading him. There is no other reason to trade a 24 year old player with 4 HOF caliber seasons already under his belt.

They realize that they can't resign him when his deal is up, so they want to get the best they can get for him. Will it be equal value? Most likely not, but its hard to get equal value for a guy who is as good as he is at his young age.

This is my question, If you can't keep a player like Cabrera in an city with a large Hispanic demographic than what is the point of having a franchise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how the Hispanic demographic would really affect what happens...they need a stadium. Unfortunately until that happens they don't plan to spend any more than they are now, sucks for the fans but what can you do. The thing is, obviously the way things are now they could never resign him when he's eligible for free agency, but that isn't for another 2 years. He isn't that expensive now, and I still stand by my opinion that the Marlins are not far from being a very competitive team in the NL east. They only need to vastly improve their starting pitching from last season, which would not require that much. So, if they are able to get 2 starters for Cabrera, then it would be a good trade, if not they should keep him as he is the best offensive player they have.

[/ QUOTE ]

The hispanic demographic isn't a huge issue, but if you are working on getting a new stadium in the city of Miami it always helps to have a young HOF caliber player that has the same background as the demographic you are trying to get involved more with your team.

Its no secret that the Marlins value the hispanic fan base in Miami, and feel that they one of the keys in building a popular franchise in that area. A player like Cabrera would seem to be the perfect fit to build that fanbase and stadium around.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:40 AM

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins...06marlins.html

[ QUOTE ]
"We are not going to comment on specific players or trade rumors. But he's an awfully good player, that's for sure.'' Several teams are interested in Cabrera, but the Chicago White Sox might engage in the most serious trade discussions. He is close friends with his Venezuelan countryman, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, who was a Marlins coach when Cabrera was a rookie.

The Marlins are shopping Cabrera because of his salary as well as their concerns about his weight and attitude. When the Marlins played an interleague series in Chicago in June, Guillen hosted Cabrera at his home and scolded the slugger about his weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be nice to see him on the SS, but I have no idea WTF Florida would want from us.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kennedy + Cano + Melky + Some good prospect I don't know about...how short of cabrera is that

[/ QUOTE ]

if this trade went down, i would come to the realization that NY would need to get very lucky over the next 5 years in order to win the AL east. that trade would be horrible for NY. basically anything that involves cano and a + sign is going to be bad for NY. even cano SU for him isnt that great.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kennedy + Cano + Melky + Some good prospect I don't know about...how short of cabrera is that

[/ QUOTE ]

if this trade went down, i would come to the realization that NY would need to get very lucky over the next 5 years in order to win the AL east. that trade would be horrible for NY. basically anything that involves cano and a + sign is going to be bad for NY. even cano SU for him isnt that great.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no way that will happen, from what I've heard the Yankees are not willing to trade any of them, so definitely not all 3. I don't think the Yankees are very likely to acquire Cabrera as the Marlins will definitely want Hughes, Joba, or Kennedy in return and I don't think any of them are options.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:42 AM

If Cashman won't trade Kennedy for Cabrera straight up, he's an idiot.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Cashman won't trade Kennedy for Cabrera straight up, he's an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if Beinfest agreed to that he would be an idiot =/...that's why I don't see a trade happening with the Yankees.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah now that's way too much

[/ QUOTE ]

k take out that prospect I don't know about then... or kennedy if possible
Old 11-10-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah now that's way too much

[/ QUOTE ]
k take out that prospect I don't know about then... or kennedy if possible

[/ QUOTE ]
Trades like that don't happen. So, the Yankees are going to give up 2 of their very good young position players who are starters right now, and a good young pitcher that will likely make the rotation, to fill 1 spot in the lineup? Unlikely.
As for the other side, the Marlins really only need starting pitching, Cano and Melky are very good and they would probably take that exact trade as it is obviously in their favor, but if you remove anyone it's no longer worth it.
Would Cano even play 3rd? The Marlins have a 2nd baseman, as well as several options for CF. They need starting pitching and that is it.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Id be OK with getting Kennedy, Cano, and Melky.

Would Cano be moved to third then?