Default Re: How will the world end

[ QUOTE ]
Not with a bang, but a whimper.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH, T.S.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

In many trillions of years, the universe's rate of expansion will increase to the point where every particle of matter is independently isolated in its own little prison of space, with every other particale expanding away from it faster than the speed of light. Information will cease to exist, and entropy and coldness will reign supreme.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was a good post until this. Learn more about theoretical physics theories before making broad statements like this.

but yeah, we're [censored]

anyone else read "The Last Question"?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 AM

i think infectious disease is way up there on the list, if not number one for the most serious threat to the human race.

i think it would take some really bad luck for the entire human population to go extinct. maybe a coincidence such as a series of intense natural disasters coupled with a new infectious disease that catches everyone off guard.

in the long term, obviously a meteor/comet impact could completely wipe out the human population but something like that won't be happening for a long time.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

In many trillions of years, the universe's rate of expansion will increase to the point where every particle of matter is independently isolated in its own little prison of space, with every other particale expanding away from it faster than the speed of light. Information will cease to exist, and entropy and coldness will reign supreme.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was a good post until this. Learn more about theoretical physics theories before making broad statements like this.

but yeah, we're [censored]

anyone else read "The Last Question"?

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't read the book, but the last time i studied physics i was under the impression that there was a ton of mass in the universe that was unaccounted for. i believe people were referring to it as "dark matter". i remember hearing an argument that the expansion and cooling might not be a forgone conclusion, and if there is enough "dark matter" then the universe might end up smashing back together into a big bangesque singularity at some point.

i'm no physicist, and am out of the loop. so i really have no idea why it matters which one eventually happens.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:51 AM

i think the most likely scenario for human beings getting wiped out is a virus or some sort of health epidemic like SARS.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:00 AM

I think disease is an extremely unlikely cause for extinction. I would guess there have been no recorded infectious agents with a 100% kill rate (assuming a reasonable sample size). I think disease is a pretty good candidate for the end of civilization, but we're too genetically diverse for it to have much likelihood of causing our extinction.

ActionJeff- Rather than me finding and reading a book, I would much rather you just tell me what theory has supplanted accelerating expansion as a viable universal endgame.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:03 AM

Read Revelation...will answer your question with zero margin of error. Situation in the Middle East is fulfilling Bible Propecy to a T. We are in the last days and the second coming of Christ will be soon.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think disease is an extremely unlikely cause for extinction. I would guess there have been no recorded infectious agents with a 100% kill rate (assuming a reasonable sample size). I think disease is a pretty good candidate for the end of civilization, but we're too genetically diverse for it to have much likelihood of causing our extinction.

ActionJeff- Rather than me finding and reading a book, I would much rather you just tell me what theory has supplanted accelerating expansion as a viable universal endgame.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say you're some big shot scientist assigned to rate risks of various threats etc. Do you place extinction of the human race as any more significant than the end of civilization?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Read Revelation...will answer your question with zero margin of error. Situation in the Middle East is fulfilling Bible Propecy to a T. We are in the last days and the second coming of Christ will be soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

strange how no one was able to use revelation to make a lot of specific predictions about what was going to happen beforehand.