Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: beat: softest table i\'ve ever encountered and all were bible-humpe

seriously though, i cant recall the last time i've been approached by people trying to sell "god" to me, and i'm grateful for that
Old 06-13-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im happy I live in Europe, where you do not get annoyed by peoople trying to convert you

Life in Europe is actually getting more pleasurable for each day

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, noone in Europe has ever tried to convert anyone

[/ QUOTE ]

Do they have Jehovahs witnesses too?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:12 PM

ye but we target practice on them usually
Old 06-13-2007, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im happy I live in Europe, where you do not get annoyed by peoople trying to convert you

Life in Europe is actually getting more pleasurable for each day

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, noone in Europe has ever tried to convert anyone

[/ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling that Europe is like Party Poker. Everyone there will happily assure everyone else that it's the best ever, but in reality... meh.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the communists were athiest and they slaughtered a bajillion people just for being religious, so get your heads outta your [censored]. oh by your rationale, athiesm is the stupidest thing ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find me an example of a nonreligious dictator who killed people because they were religious.

Now try and find a religious dictator who didn't kill people because of his religion.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dont stereotype because 50 million retards in alabama blew up some abortion clinics

[/ QUOTE ]

good one
Old 06-13-2007, 02:04 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the communists were athiest and they slaughtered a bajillion people just for being religious, so get your heads outta your [censored]. oh by your rationale, athiesm is the stupidest thing ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Atheism is only very very slightly more stupid than believing there is a god, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making a mistake I see a lot of people make.

Most atheists are simply saying 'I don't believe in God' in same sense they are also saying 'I don't believe in Santa Claus, unicorns, elves'.

They simply don't believe in things when there is no evidence to support that belief.

If I told you that I didn't believe elves existed would you call me slightly more dumb than the loon who does believe elves exist?

I doubt you would.

How is belief (or disbelief) in God different? Why is it intellectually superior to run around saying I don't know?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I say very very slightly more so, because in the very unlikely scenario where there is a god, and it actually does care whether we, as humans, believe that it exists or not (which I believe to be much more unlikely that it *DOES* care than it exists), it is very very slightly higher EV to believe there is a god.

Also, it's 5:30 AM here, so my brain isn't really working.

[/ QUOTE ]

pascal's theorem ftw

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL its called Pascal's Wager, its ridiculously flawed and incorrect, but I don't feel like dorking up BBV with this crap. If you really care, come to SMP and I can disabuse you of this crap in about 4 posts.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pascal's Wager only functions in an absolute vacuum where you either believe in a Christian God or don't. He does not take into account the possible negative EV of believing in the WRONG god.

If we believe in a Christian God, but it actually turns out that it is the Muslim god that awaits us, then it is a possibility that it's slightly higher EV not to believe in any god instead of angering him by believing in the wrong god.

DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but if don't need specifics, just to believe in a "neutral" god. i.e. a creator(s?) of the universe.

Again, I'm not saying I DO believe in any god, just I'm very tired.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is like when people argue that running it twice is like slightly -EV when you are way ahead and +EV when its a coinflip or something. Pascal's Wager is meaningless, and pretty much everything you do is neutral EV.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 PM

But seriously guys, give the Bible a try. I love the Bible...

It's one of my favorite storybooks. This God guy really kicks ass, he like kills babies and [censored] and can flood the world. He also doesn't take [censored] from anyone. [censored] with him, and he'll summon a bunch of locusts on you. The ending kinda sucked though, rather inconsistent and a few plot holes here and there. I felt kind of bad for the villain though, all he did was tell someone to eat an apple. I mean yea he did do bad things, but you know he had a dark past and stuff. But this is what happens when you mess with God's apples. You could also say it was rather contrived to give such a happy ending but I guess you have to balance out the action with some philosophy. But the descriptions and metaphors are pretty good for the most parts.

BTW, Jesus was also a kickass character, probaly the the most endearing character of the cast. David was ok, but he kinda went downhill after he fell victim to hookers and blow. Moses was annoying, why did they talk about him so much? Would have been better if God had just drowned him; that would make a good comic scene.
Closed Thread