Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2006, 12:34 AM

Default atheists and thanksgiving?

I am inquiring why do atheists celebrate thanksgiving. After all an atheist can't logically "celebrate" thanksgiving because you are thanking the Lord for nature's bounty. Do you accept a paid day off from your employment? you are being given a day's pay to celebrate something you don't believe in. That's not logical. To all the true atheists, I suspose you could visit your atheists friends and enjoy a fried spam sandwich. After all, the traditonal foods of thanksgiving are the products of a bountiful harvest provided by God. So if you celebrate Thanksgiving why and how do you justify that celebration? Thank you for your explaination.

Respectfully submitted.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:38 AM

Default Re: atheists and thanksgiving?

I celebrate thanksgiving and christmas and all that crap for the same reasons that most other people do..that is for reasons that have nothing to do with what the holiday was originally intended to be about
Old 11-20-2006, 12:41 AM

Sharkey? Stop coming around please.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:44 AM

I convert to Christianity for 24 hours on Thanksgiving so that I can get the day off work. I do the same thing at Christmas and Easter.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:49 AM

Well, we atheists are kind of in a pinch. While we are, of course, grossly offended at the idea of someone giving us free money and a day off (those BASTARDS!), it does also give us lots of necessary time to pursue the unholy decadence that our empty, meaningless existences demand so we can fill the void in our miserable souls. It's very nice having a four day weekend to go out and inject speedballs, rape sixteen year old boys and sacrifice chickens in the backyard to a golden calf, and then do even more disturbing things like watch Will and Grace and read Dawkins. And I like it personally because it gives me more time to prepare for the gay pride parade and pro-choice feminist rallies that I so love.

As for food, I make it a point not to defy my atheism, and buy food that was produced on evil, liberal run organic farms rather than that which magically springs up from the glorious well of God's bounty. Sure I'll get e.coli from the spinach and die, but meh, I'm gonna die anyway and then there's gonna be nothing left at all, so I might as well kill myself now! hahahah!!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, we atheists are kind of in a pinch. While we are, of course, grossly offended at the idea of someone giving us free money and a day off (those BASTARDS!), it does also give us lots of necessary time to pursue the unholy decadence that our empty, meaningless existences demand so we can fill the void in our miserable souls. It's very nice having a four day weekend to go out and inject speedballs, rape sixteen year old boys and sacrifice chickens in the backyard to a golden calf, and then do even more disturbing things like watch Will and Grace and read Dawkins. And I like it personally because it gives me more time to prepare for the gay pride parade and pro-choice feminist rallies that I so love.

As for food, I make it a point not to defy my atheism, and buy food that was produced on evil, liberal run organic farms rather than that which magically springs up from the glorious well of God's bounty. Sure I'll get e.coli from the spinach and die, but meh, I'm gonna die anyway and then there's gonna be nothing left at all, so I might as well kill myself now! hahahah!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 11-20-2006, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am inquiring why do atheists celebrate thanksgiving. After all an atheist can't logically "celebrate" thanksgiving because you are thanking the Lord for nature's bounty. Do you accept a paid day off from your employment? you are being given a day's pay to celebrate something you don't believe in. That's not logical. To all the true atheists, I suspose you could visit your atheists friends and enjoy a fried spam sandwich. After all, the traditonal foods of thanksgiving are the products of a bountiful harvest provided by God. So if you celebrate Thanksgiving why and how do you justify that celebration? Thank you for your explaination.

Respectfully submitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanksgiving can mean different things to different people. I may be using the time to be introspectively thinking about all the things that are going good in my life and what I am thankful for.

I may take the time to spend with people that I am glad are in my life, like friends and family.

Neither of those has anything to do with "god's bounty".
You thank the Lord on thanksgiving, fine. Doesn't mean everyone else has to.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Respectfully submitted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider it a day to come together with family and/or friends, to eat delicious food and mock history and christians. Like the humor filled thanksgiving where Christians give thanks to God for having the Indians save their asses... and then they turn around and do the 'Christian' thing of slaughtering the people who saved them.

Aaaah Thanksgiving. Good times.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After all an atheist can't logically "celebrate" thanksgiving because you are thanking the Lord for nature's bounty. Do you accept a paid day off from your employment? you are being given a day's pay to celebrate something you don't believe in

[/ QUOTE ] Lousy jewish and scientologists get Christmas off work as well. It isn't "logical" for you to post about this and not about that.

[ QUOTE ]
That's not logical.

[/ QUOTE ] Either is you making this post, nor is eating four huge meals in one day, or me preferring breasts to robocop II. But I don't complain about people having differing views on these things, or being logical about them, or claim that they have to "justify" it. Except you, because I'm big into reciprocity (thanks to that liberal secularist some call "evolution"). So what justifies you making this post instead of one about all the heathens who believe in a different invisible man than you getting Thanksgiving off of work as well? They shouldn't even be allowed to smell the turkey, imo.

[ QUOTE ]
To all the true atheists, I suspose you could visit your atheists friends and enjoy a fried spam sandwich. After all, the traditonal foods of thanksgiving are the products of a bountiful harvest provided by God.

[/ QUOTE ] What? God provided this bountiful harvest? I thought it was human hard work and ingenuity and natural resources. My mistake.

Why is god responsible for all of the good things, but not for the bad things, btw? How come nobody ever says "after all, gangrene is a disease provided by God and therefore you atheists shouldn't get to have it"? How come no sports superstars say: "Hey, we lost, but God wanted the other team to win, so no biggie".

[ QUOTE ]
So if you celebrate Thanksgiving why and how do you justify that celebration ?

[/ QUOTE ] Now we have to justify celebrations? I thought things that were intrinsically unenjoyable had to be justified by extrinsic reasons, whereas things that are intrinsically enjoyable were done for their own sake. My mistake.

You see, non-religous people tend to have these crazy idea that the purpose of life is to enjoy life. They don't have nine virgins or eternal bliss or salvation to fall back on; they have to make something out of their lives here and now.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:51 AM

If the antheists unofficial leader DS, can call Glen Beck an
arrogant moron because he does not approve of his lack of "logic" don't I, in the interest of trying to understand another view of the world, have the right or even the duty to respectfully ask for an explaination or clairfication of an aspect of that thought or practice,which to me is illogical or dare I even say it, hypocritical?

I haven't called anybody anything and in previous posts I have found that by the atheists own admission they have not founded one social organization to help their fellow man do anything. I will be the first to admit that the biggest problem with christianity are the misguided actions of christians, but when push comes to shove who are you going to turn to? what are theists susposed to think? On this forum alone I have answers from people who don't believe in the holiday, but are more than willing to accept hospitality and funds in the name of that holiday. What does that say about people who scoff at people who do believe? VERY LITTLE. As far as I can see atheists should be very grateful to theists because if theists didn't believe in being givers what would the rest of you do?

Respectfully submitted