Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What would OOT do?
Pass 63 84.00%
Don't Pass 12 16.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 AM

Default live tell at the final table

If a players neck pulse is throbbing at the final table of a live 1K 200-250 person event after he has made a standard raise preflop and you are staring him down in the BB, what does that mean? Assume both you and the raiser have average stacks and the payout structure is top (1-3) heavy. Bluff (hand that will fold to a push) or monster?
Old 11-13-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: live tell at the final table

honestly, i don't think it means much of anything.

my heart races at a live poker table whenever i have the nuts and i'm betting and trying to get paid off. it's just human nature. i really don't think there's much reliability in this "tell" whatsoever. the heart isn't as honest as the arms and legs are. there's a lot more to be learned watching someone's arms or legs as they bet than anything else.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:54 AM

Not enough information... is the villain male? how old? what ethnicity? is he wearing sunglasses? and ipod? is he overweight? how tall is he?

also, are you male? young or old? were you wearing shades for this staredown? are you bigger than him?

also... is the dealer asian?

as you can see, there is not nearly enough information to answer the question correctly...who are you Doyle?

also - wrong forum. unless the neck vein throbs differently in cash games. the only thing that I am sure of is that it does not throb in min-bet poker because there is nothing to get nervous about in that silly poop slinging game
Old 11-13-2007, 03:55 AM

Ok so there are a lot of variables. From a female player I would expect this to be a very strong almost always (would you agree?).

Villain here was male, 40ish, slightly overweight, above average height, has normal gear (hoody but is not wearing it and doesn't seem to have a 2+2 profile), no sunglasses. Hero isn't physically intimidating, not wearing sunglasses, but portraying a lot of confidence.

My initial gut was that he didn't have much, but I started to have doubts because of his pulse, and gave up the BB. Thinking back, I'm not sure if his pulse was a function of my stare-down or the cards that he held. Or perhaps I am flattering myself with my stare-down. What is the likelihood of a stare-down causing neck throbbing?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:58 AM

What kind of tells can be derived from legs? A lot of times I can guess comfort level by the way the arms come to rest and villain is anticipating my decision, but can you articulate the motions of the arm that might give off hand strength please?
Old 11-13-2007, 05:41 AM

What's teh stack size here? I.e what would be making him stressed? If he had raised 1/3 of his stack then he could be real worried that you are going to re-raise him.

But if you are fairly deep, and he's raising with trash in late position or whatever, this should be 100% standard for him and if you re-raise him he doesnt really care, and will just fold.

The only reason he'd be getting real excited if you were deepish would be if he had a monster.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 AM

i would look into his eyes and softly start singing "never gonna give you up" by rick astley, rising to a crescendo and rising from my seat by the time i hit the refrain. observe his reaction.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"never gonna give you up" by rick astley

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this a hit in the States? Jesus.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would look into his eyes and softly start singing "never gonna give you up" by rick astley, rising to a crescendo and rising from my seat by the time i hit the refrain. observe his reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would expose my genitals. Then scream "I GOT THE NUTS LOL!" Then shove.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I would expose my genitals. Then scream "I GOT THE NUTS LOL!" Then shove.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has anyone ever said "LOL" out loud in person? I'm not quite sure how that would work...