Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 11:21 PM

Default Early Levels of HU Sng\'s

Hey forum, I was curious on what everyone thought about playing the early levels of a HU sng. Some say raise raise raise that button while others play a more tight style. Im curious on what everyone generally thinks. Personally, I think people overrate the raise every button strategy and c-bet and gets them in trouble. Im helping a friend with HU and this is how it drew attention to me. His raising range at the 10 dollar HU sngs is far to wide against these donks. You really cannot raise with J5 and c-bet until a t least the 110s. I really think for new players trying to build a bankroll the best piece of advice I can give is just play solid poker, play alot, and dont tilt and I promise you your well on your way. Sorry this post was so long just something I learned while helping a friend.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Early Levels of HU Sng\'s

this thread seems to apply to your question:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=4#Post11431357

I think there was a better one but I can't find it.

chrismystero
Old 11-18-2007, 11:32 PM

Very nice find mystero, I may print that out for my buddy. He seems to love to have crap put out in front of him. LOL hes learning tho trying to teach him its not mechanical.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 AM

I raise a TON, and have success at it.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:04 AM

Dave What site do you play on and whats your name?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:07 AM

One of the big AHA! moments I had was realizing that there were better and worse flops and opponents to cbet at. I know it's basic, but it's very important, because when somebody starting out hears "raise a lot PF, cbet frequently," they're liable to do so mindlessly.

If you're lucky, you get away with it for a while - especially if you draw the right kinds of opponents. But usually you find you're dumping a lot of chips when you cbet in bad spots.

The two key variables are obviously the flop texture and opponent's range/tendencies. I'd say you can absolutely cbet J5 profitably if you're playing a passive opponent who folds easily postflop (only continues with top pair+) on a rainbow flop of A92.

Easy things to pay attention to are how much your opponent is calling your PF raises and how often he calls a cbet given that he called the PF raise. If he's calling 1/10 PF raises, understand what his range looks like (very big cards, maybe PP's) and cbet or not according to whether those kinds of hands are likely to have the flop that you get.

And take HokieGreg's advice from the thread referenced above:

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about short term results if you are missing and they are playing back at you.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's definitely a bad idea to either start playing too passively or start bluffing too much just because you're carddead.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 AM

your absolutley right, I guess Im just stressing to my student to KISS(Keep it simple stupid lol) It seems liek all new players cant give up a c-bet when they "think" there beat.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 AM

I post my graphs, stats, hand analysis, etc, all through this forum, but I don't give out my handles.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually, when this is written, you are calling the quoted an idiot. You are asking this because you think I would be easy money. It is sort of a joke.

edit to add: I did laugh out loud.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:26 AM

No absolutley not..I was just curious on what your handle and site you played on was. That was not an intended jab at all. Sorry it was taken as that. I just like to rail friends and watch them play thats it.