Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Regulations are out

Ok I am surprised. But http://www.treas.gov/press/releases/...oposedrule.pdf seems to be the new UIGEA regulations. (hope link works)
I have only read the first 13 pages. I note that "unlawful internet gambling" remains undefined and the agency said that it will not define the term because the UIGEA does not define the term. So I cannot see the purpose in any comments on this issue.
OTOH, the second paragraph of exemptions from the regulations starts with this sentence. "The Agencies are proposing to exempt all participants in the ACH systems, check collection systems, and wire transfer systems, except for the participant that possesses the customer relationship with the Internet gambling business (and certain participants that receive certain cross-border transactions from, or send certain such transactions to,
foreign payment service providers, as discussed further below)."
This seems hopeful, but I will have to read the rest of the regulations to be sure of anything. Without some definition of the term "unlawful internet gambling" I do not understand how banks and other financial institutions are going to obey these regulations? Perhaps this should be a comment. I don't know. I'll post later after I read the entire regulation.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Regulations are out

going off ur comments on it...it all seems very promising...let's hope they keep the regs as "vague" as u believe they are, no need to define "unlawful internet gambling," which means the status quo will continue for now which is VERY VERY good news......
Old 10-01-2007, 11:36 AM

Since only some will have the energy/ability to get through this, please anyone who does post significant portions like JP did with your opinion on it...
Old 10-01-2007, 11:45 AM

i actually read a bit more and they propose that keeping an updated list of unlawful internet gambling businesses is NOT RECOMMENDED due to the costs involved...another good thing.....i know some were waiting of the sky to fall with these regs, but i have to be honest with you, after reviewing the document, i feel as though a 2+2er was one of the parties involved with writing this document.....very non descript and no teeth whatsoever.....
Old 10-01-2007, 11:57 AM

Looking forward to thorough reviews from knowledgeable posters when you guys get done reading and interpreting the thing.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:00 PM

"The Act directs the Agencies to exempt certain restricted transactions or
designated payment systems from any requirements imposed under the regulations if the
Agencies find that it is not reasonably practical to identify and block, or otherwise
prevent or prohibit the acceptance of, such transactions.
Section 4 of the proposed rule
provides such an exemption for certain participants in ACH systems, check collection
systems, and wire transfer systems. The proposed regulation is structured to impose
requirements on participants in designated payments systems with respect to the
segments of particular transactions that those participants handle. Therefore, rather than
exempting entire categories of restricted transactions or entire payment systems, the
Agencies have structured the exemptions to apply to particular participants in particular
payment systems as described in greater detail below. The Agencies believe that this
limited application of their exemption authority better serves the Act’s purposes of
preventing the processing of restricted transactions."
Old 10-01-2007, 12:02 PM

The initial reaction for Party stock is neutral. That is the more relevant indicator to these regs.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The Act directs the Agencies to exempt certain restricted transactions or
designated payment systems from any requirements imposed under the regulations if the
Agencies find that it is not reasonably practical to identify and block, or otherwise
prevent or prohibit the acceptance of, such transactions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the money line? If it's too hard to do, then don't bother with it?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:06 PM

Swamped at the moment, but will try and read today and get a summary up if you haven't already gotten the highlights down.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The initial reaction for Party stock is neutral. That is the more relevant indicator to these regs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would Party stock be affected by US legislation?