Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Mandalay Bay Disappointing

I didn't play in any of the events last year. I was there yesterday and played in a satellite and everything about it sure was disappointing.

1. They had a $540 nightly that they did absolutely 0 advertising for hence a field of 24.

2. I played in a satellite for the $540 where:
a. The dealer didn't know some of the finer tournament rules.
b. The blinds were 15 min long and 2 levels into it the floorman comes over and says every level from now on will be 7 min. WTF?!
c. At level 4 the dealer cuts his hand and while they go to get a dealer change the clock is running the entire time so after 2 hands we miss the rest of level 4.
d. They change dealers and the deal two hands into level 5 and now decide they want to color up the green and race off the rest while the clock is running. Why didn't they do this in between levels?

3. I signed up for a $240 satellite to the $1080 event. The floorman and dealer were sitting at a table with 2 other people signed up. I come back 15 min later and see that we just need one more person and it will start. I walk around for a bit and look over at the table still empty, so I wait. I eventually go back over to look at the list and see that it's full. I ask the floorman when he's gonna announce the start so people would start coming over and he says, "Oh we decided to start it at another table over there. They've already started." Thanks for the heads up buddy. And what happened to announcing it?

4. Later that night on my way home I call over to the poker room a dealer picks up. I ask how many they have registered for The $1080 so far. And he says, "I have no idea let me get a floorman." The floorman says, "I have no idea how many we'll have." I say, "No how many have signed up already?" He says, "I have no idea there's no way to find that out." Me: "Can you connect me w/ tournament personnel?" Him: "There's no way to connect you."

5. I call this morning. Me: "How many have signed up so far?" Floor: "Hold on let me connect you to the tournament area." Tournament cashier: "58 have signed up so far."

I'm confused because other WPT events seem to be run much better and more professionally. Is this the same organization?

Mandalay Bay = Goat rope rodeo
Old 05-22-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Mandalay Bay Disappointing

well i'll be there in about 55 minutes to play, hope its smooth from here on out.. 58 already doesn't seem bad
Old 05-22-2007, 02:07 PM

The field seems pretty small given other WPT events. I don't think they're even gonna get over 100. Were they this small last year?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

b. The blinds were 15 min long and 2 levels into it the floorman comes over and says every level from now on will be 7 min. WTF?!
c. At level 4 the dealer cuts his hand and while they go to get a dealer change the clock is running the entire time so after 2 hands we miss the rest of level 4.
d. They change dealers and the deal two hands into level 5 and now decide they want to color up the green and race off the rest while the clock is running. Why didn't they do this in between levels?

[/ QUOTE ]

And this bothers you? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2007, 03:23 PM

Does anyone know what kind of structure the prelim events will have?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:00 PM

Was @ mandalay in November. It was the WORST poker room I've ever played in Vegas. Unreal. Oh and the hottest game was......2/4 fixed [censored] laughable.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:52 PM

181 players. chips are double buyin, blinds started at 25/50 today hour levels. The tourney is being ran by the Bellagio staff(Jack, etc)
Old 05-22-2007, 06:59 PM

wow sounds awful, i'll be staying away from there when im in vegas.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course this is not OK ... but why didn't anyone at the table insist to have the clock stopped?

Again, not saying it's OK to treat your customers like that, but what you describe is no different from what I have experienced through several years at the Harrah's WSOP SnGs ... poorly trained or poorly motivated dealers, sudden changes in structure during the game to serve some unrelated practical purpose, and unwillingness to stop the clock while floor staff attempt to settle disputes or correct problems.

I have learned always to start yelling "Stop the Clock!" as soon a the floor shows up - most often nobody else is going to do it for you.

Again, the floor should deal with these issues, but in the real world I believe you have to learn to stand up for your self [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

EDIT: This is exactly why I have no issue with the introduction of PokerTek tables for SnGs.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow sounds awful, i'll be staying away from there when im in vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

obv wpt series will be done with [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]