Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-30-2007, 02:36 AM

Default Just A Reminder About Religious People

Once every few months I have to repost this because people keep on staring threads without making mention of it.

Their are two types of "believers". Those who believe the Packers would win today because they just "know it in their hearts" (and also have some good, but what they realize are non convincing reasons), and those who cannot believe that any non biased fan could possibly think the Cowboys should be favored.

Most religious people are the first type. The ones who are members of a religion that allow such an admission usually admit it. Members of other religions are less apt to. But even most of them are deep down the first type. At least I think so. God help us if I'm wrong.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Just A Reminder About Religious People

In my experience, most people who were brought up with religion and have believed in it all their lives are the first type, whilst converts/born-agains are usually the second.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 AM

Ya see, Brett Favre is is like an Old Christianity and and ah Tony Romo is like a new Judaism. And well Muslim is like you know a Brett Favre from a parellel world. Whos' the best quaterback in the league. Some even think it's Tom Brady, and he's like your hindi quaterback. And then of course there's all these dead quaterbacks that don't play the game anymore. Astrology(Bart Starr), Joe Montana(Greek Mythology), and and Terry Bradshaw.

Now when you have these quaterbacks playing each other the team with the most points and the end of the game is gonna win.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once every few months I have to repost this because people keep on staring threads without making mention of it.

Their are two types of "believers". Those who believe the Packers would win today because they just "know it in their hearts" (and also have some good, but what they realize are non convincing reasons), and those who cannot believe that any non biased fan could possibly think the Cowboys should be favored.

Most religious people are the first type. The ones who are members of a religion that allow such an admission usually admit it. Members of other religions are less apt to. But even most of them are deep down the first type. At least I think so. God help us if I'm wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's true, why would it need to be restated over and over again. The fact that posters don't start off stating that premise would indicate -
a) they don't think it is true
b) they think it's a given. "grass is green."
c) one of the above is true but it's not relevant to their post.

My take is that the absence of this claim is most likely, in rank order
- c, a, b.

Since we can't reach in a tear out their hearts we're essentially left with a head-to-head appeal, the lack of success suggests support for your theory that most are hearty theists.

luckyme
Old 11-30-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ya see, Brett Favre is is like an Old Christianity and and ah Tony Romo is like a new Judaism. And well Muslim is like you know a Brett Favre from a parellel world. Whos' the best quaterback in the league. Some even think it's Tom Brady, and he's like your hindi quaterback. And then of course there's all these dead quaterbacks that don't play the game anymore. Astrology(Bart Starr), Joe Montana(Greek Mythology), and and Terry Bradshaw.

Now when you have these quaterbacks playing each other the team with the most points and the end of the game is gonna win.

[/ QUOTE ]

grammatically, logically, and intelligently this may be the best post ever made
Old 11-30-2007, 03:54 AM

Yeah, most people are the first type. What do you think the ratio is? I'd guess about 85/15.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:42 AM

Call me a skeptic, but 'there are two types of ...' statements don't sit well with me. I like 'em when they are used in jokes though, that's fun.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:07 AM

I think you're right, at least if you consider the western society only.

However you should also remember that most of these people also believe that believing what they believe is good, and that not believing it is bad.

So while they don't really believe they have good arguments, they think whoever doesn't believe the same as them is bad. Especially those who don't have another simlar belief instead.

Also, most of these people encourage others to be in the second group, because they think that's the right position to hold, even if they themselves "lack the faith".
Old 11-30-2007, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're right, at least if you consider the western society only.

However you should also remember that most of these people also believe that believing what they believe is good, and that not believing it is bad.

So while they don't really believe they have good arguments, they think whoever doesn't believe the same as them is bad. Especially those who don't have another simlar belief instead.

Also, most of these people encourage others to be in the second group, because they think that's the right position to hold, even if they themselves "lack the faith".

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree with last sentence. Actually your last sentence was contradictory because the second group need not have as much faith as the first.