Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 02:42 PM

Default Hand 14 of $500+$40 at Wynn, 6/15/2007

I have T5,250 in the Wynn event, 31 runners. Play up this point has been standard.

Hand 14: I have 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB. 5 limpers, I complete, BB checks. Pot is T350. Flop comes down J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check, seat 4 checks, seat 7 (some old woman) bets T300. seat 8 (and old solid guy) calls T300. Seat 9 and 1 fold, I make it T1,500.

Old woman now starts making faces. One thing I'd noticed on previous hands was that on the hands she won she bounced around a bit. It reminded me of the KeepOn robot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbU7F8DFmE4 when it recognizes the guy, bouncing up and down. She is NOT bouncing, and asking me:

[ QUOTE ]
DO YOU HAVE TWO PAIR?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

She seemed really freaked out by me having 2 pair. I figurethis is a good sign. She CALLS. *@&%(@&#%(!

Now the old guy all of a sudden goes into this massive speech. What the heck? He makes this huge dramatic laydown after 5 minutes. I put him on something big like straight+flush draw or AJ or something. Obviously he had something, but in an unraised pot, what could he have?

Turn is the 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Aiii. Now the board reads J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I am not a happy puppy. The pot is now T350 preflop + T3,300 on the flop for a total of T3,650. I have T3,700 left (I started the hand with T5,250). She covers me but only by a few hundred.

What does she have here? First of all, a naked flush draw (say A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) is not afraid of the fact that I have 2 pair, since she needs her spade anyway, and the board pairing will scare her off. Maybe she's not that savvy, but hell, what's going on here. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]? Sure, she's "behind" to a hand like JT, but she has oodles of outs. A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J? Can she call with that? Really? She limped pre-flop, so I can't read her for AA-QQ. I really have no idea as to her range. I just know it's behind mine. I figure her very strongly for A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J. I decide to bet T2,000. She's not doing her hopping thing at all, and still seems freaked out, again asking me if I have 2 pair. Once again, she CALLS. (If she jams I think I have to call, at least that was my intention.)

River is the K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BOING BOING BOING BOING BOING BOING BOING. She's hopping now. Board is J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I have the 13th nuts. I am not happy. She obviously is. I check, she puts all her chips in IMMEDIATELY. Grrrr. Significant lack of joy. I feel like I KNOW she has the Ace of Spades. Paired with what, though? A non-spade Jack makes the most sense to me. I have T1,700 left. I can make a crying call, but I just didn't feel right doing so. I fold. She shows A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The old guy in seat 8 folded K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?!?! Wow. My head is spinning, but I still have chips.

After the hand she goes:

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way I was ever folding this hand. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to believe her.

Thoughts, criticisms, praise of my being a great champion, anything else all allowed and encouraged.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Hand 14 of $500+$40 at Wynn, 6/15/2007

I would probably just go allin on the turn so I don't have to play weird guessing games, but whatever betting less is fine too since she doesn't really have the odds to call you. Mainly I wouldn't want to put myself in a situation where I might fold on the river getting ridiculous pot odds and leaving myself with very few chips. Turns out you were right, but against some opponents you could get bluffed out which would be a major disaster (although I guess you'd be a lot more likely to call against these types of players).
Old 06-23-2007, 04:12 PM

Shove the turn!!!!

As played, as sick as it seems, fold the river
Old 06-23-2007, 04:18 PM

I wouldn't fold the river. Turn bet is OK.

Good laydown by old guy on flop.

Strange two players limped behind with big pairs, presumably playing for a LRR, but maybe very passive.

When old women asks if you have 2-pair, she either has what she has, an overpair or weak 2-pair or she can beat 2-pair and is trying to be clever.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can I call? What does she have that fits the following criteria?

1) She limped preflop
2) She opened the pot on the flop
3) She called my check-raise
4) She called my bet on the turn
5) She shoved on the river

and that

6) Is losing to 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

The board is J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

The only pocket pairs I'm beating are:
A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 99-. I don't think any of those would play like that.

What about connecting hands?
Sure, something like K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is losing to me, but can she really have that? Heck, even 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is killing me.

What else?
A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? Really? Does she think Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] is that good?

Ignoring the bouncing thing, I just can't figure her for a hand that I'm beating that she'd make that play with.
A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is maybe my dream hand there, but I'm sure she'd check behind.

Or am I missing something?
Old 06-23-2007, 05:49 PM

This hand is a great example of 'small ball.' I probably would have shoved the turn (I also would have bet the flop hoping that I could 3-bet all in) but the way you played it let you get to a point where you knew you were beat and save some chips for later.

The river is definitely a fold, you beat absolutely nothing and an old lady giving off tells is not bluffing.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:53 PM

btw I also bet the flop
Old 06-23-2007, 05:53 PM

You are getting 5.5-1. You have to be awfully sure to fold the river.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is a great example of 'small ball.' I probably would have shoved the turn (I also would have bet the flop hoping that I could 3-bet all in) but the way you played it let you get to a point where you knew you were beat and save some chips for later.

The river is definitely a fold, you beat absolutely nothing and an old lady giving off tells is not bluffing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Great, don't get all the money in with a set so you can make a heroic fold if a backdoor flush hits and save a few chips.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Great, don't get all the money in with a set so you can make a heroic fold if a backdoor flush hits and save a few chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great. Nonchalantly dismiss an entire element of tournament poker theory because it is not how you and your internet buddies play; even though it was evmax here and many highly successful players advocate its use

FWIW, I don't play small ball either but that does not mean we can't learn from situations where it might be the best option