Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2006, 09:56 PM

Default Quick starting hand check-up

Standard?

Or does the 7 hurt my hand here enough to not limp UTG. PF raiser was pretty tight. Good laydown, or do I need to see a flop here?

Poker Stars Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Tournament
Blinds: t25/t50
9 players

Stack sizes:
Hero: t3335
UTG+1: t645
MP1: t1385
MP2: t1300
MP3: t840
CO: t1020
Button: t1180
SB: t1935
BB: t1860

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is UTG with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t75)</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t125)</font>, MP2 calls t50 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t175)</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to t325</font>, 2 folds, Hero folds.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Quick starting hand check-up

Hmmm... I'm not a PLO8 tourney player, but considering you're the big stack and would only commit 10% of your stack with a premium holding (suited A2 with protection and decent straight possibilities) it seems that seeing a flop here is almost a must. I would have most likely put in some sort of raise (2.5 to 3x BB?) to exploit the edge you usually have here. Would you call with anything short of AAwx suited in this spot?
Old 12-24-2006, 01:22 PM

Did you have enough information about MP1 and MP2 to know if they would stay? In the lower priced tourneys (how much was this), if you call, you've got at least 80% chance that the other two will stay.

Of course, if you believe that the other limpers might reraise based on prior hands, is this the hand you want to go all the way with pre-flop?

With this hand HU, you're certainly no better than 40% here, but this hand four-way seems like a no-brainer.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:44 PM

wow...this is terrible. this is not getting folded in an MTT/SNG, except in odd situations that u only find ina tourny. this hand is too powerful to just limp/fold. u have a fantastic multiway hand, and even OOP, u have to get ur nose in here. the suit on ur ace makes ur hand that much more powerful, and coupled with ur protection and straight possibilities...folding this is a no-go. see a flop and play from there.

(also, is this a SNG?...if so...even more reason to see a flop, because play is so bad in those it wud b silly to fold a hand this strong)
Old 12-24-2006, 07:39 PM

The pot is laying you almost to 2 to 1 odds by this point. I don't think there's much of a chance you're more than a 33% dog, and considering one of the two limpers other usually follows along, this is an easy call.

If this is a $3 turbo, then it's even more essential to see a flop. Accumulating big leads early is very valuable, and the idiot raiser could have something as bad as KKT4 unsuited. You can hardly ever give credit for AAwx in these things.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:21 AM

no way i fold this
Old 12-26-2006, 06:52 PM

Thanks guys. This is helpful. I'm still trying to figure out which hands are the ones that are easy to overvalue vs. ones that have real strength when facing a raise.

Oh, and this was only a $8 tournament.