Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Getting 2-1 risking 1/2 your stack

[ QUOTE ]
Stealing is bad with 86o here because boththe SB and CO are short.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either one of them picks up a hand they semi-like - you're playing for 1/2 of your stack.

The ONLY reason you would raise such a [censored] hand in this spot is if all 4 players behind you were very tight, and if that's the case then you are a worse than 2:1 dog against the pusher's range and you have an easy fold. If they are not all THAT tight - then your raise is horrible to begin with, bitchslap yourself hard and fold anyway.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't fall into the trap of feeling the need to steal a little because of rising blinds, when what you win is a small bit of the coming blind....Better to save it for better fold equity/double-up when you get to the imminent pushbotting stage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess that's the thing I've been trying to avoid recently. I would normally fold pre-flop in this spot, but then I seem to often find myself pushbotting. I play the SS ninja mode well, but I'd rather not put myself in this position.

The players behind me had been playing pretty tight and if this guy would have insta-shoved, the decision would have been easier.

My thinking was that CO and SB were short, but not desparate, so were still good to pick on. BUT, the fact there are two shortys left to act, I can totally see why this isn't a good steal opportunity.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:43 AM

Ok....
The 90 Mans are my thing, and I've been in this situation so many times, and I would definately call. Your stack is not very good at this point, and you should not have raised with 86 esp. because of the short SB, but now that you have a decent amount in the pot, I would call. The reason being that if you win this pot you will have a far greater chance to gain a real stack before the final table. If you win this pot and get a stack of about 10k at around 13 players remaining, you will be able to chip up much more than if you have a stack of say 5k at this point, allowing yourself much more room to win the tournament.