Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Default Re: $20,000 Cashiers Check, made out to me...what should I do with it?

What is your current profession? poker?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-27-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your current profession? poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm very good at making money

[/ QUOTE ]

All legally? [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2007, 05:49 PM

I'd just slide that wad over to my father, 'cause he is like one of the top brokers in the state.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:52 PM

Old 07-27-2007, 08:13 PM

Hey Blue, I have been day trading for 3 years (rather successfully) and was thinking about what opportunity would fit what you want to...

Baidu.com (BIDU) is peaking in value over surprisingly good quarterly results-it was bought up to 200+ because (and this im sure of) IGNORANCE AND GREED....Baidu is the most used search engine in China...IT WONT BE FOR LONG AND IS DESTINED FOR A HUGE DROPOUT

Google is infiltrating China...From knowing how they run their management, Google will stop at NOTHING to bring down baidu and take over the Chinese search engine scene. Currently they have "obtained"(stolen) many top employees of Baidu and certainly aren't done yet....This search engine powerhouse (Google) will inevitably bring down Baidu(within the next 1-3 years) and I forsee Baidu plunging drastically...

I would like to add that my views on this are not singular as Baidu is one of the most short selled stocks that I know as the top day traders are preparing for a drastic drop....

If you want more information (ex. risk/when to buy after u short sell Baidu let me know)
Old 07-28-2007, 03:06 AM

Here's a stock that will definitely keep things exciting. It's got great fundamentals, and it regularly swings 5-10% in a day.

Mines have serious environmental consequences. One of those consequences is that water gets into areas that used to be under the bedrock, which it becomes acidified and dissolves metals. The metals then run off into nearby streams, making the water poisonous. All mines these days are required to treat this runoff water. The typical way it's done is, the mining company mixes an enormous amount of lime into the water as it runs out. This congeals the metals into a hydroxide sludge, which then has to be warehoused forever.

Bioteq is a company with a new and better way to deal with this water. It uses biologically produced sulfides to reduce the metals, turning them into pure, marketable form. The remaining runoff water is safe to drink.

They make their money by selling the recovered metals, and the payback on a plant is incredibly fast. With today's metal prices, they can recover their capital costs in less than a year. In other words, they make 100% profit by year 2, and the plant just keeps producing more metals. The mine companies want to work with them, because Bioteq eliminates the cost they would have to pay for standard treatments.

Bioteq is still fairly small, but growing fast. They have 4 operating plants, and 2 more scheduled to open late this year. More are under construction or scheduled for construction. Based on my back-of-the-envelope calculations, Bioteq should have a 2008 P/E of 25, which is incredibly cheap considering their profits should grow 50% annually for the next 3 years.

The stock is only traded on the Toronto exchange, under the symbol BQE.TO. It's fun (or scary) to watch. Today it opened at 3.69, dropped to 3.50 in the morning, and climbed back to 3.89 by the close. Your $20,000 would have lost $1000, then gained back another $2000.

This is +EV, risky, creative, and will give you daily entertainment.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a stock that will definitely keep things exciting. It's got great fundamentals, and it regularly swings 5-10% in a day.

Mines have serious environmental consequences. One of those consequences is that water gets into areas that used to be under the bedrock, which it becomes acidified and dissolves metals. The metals then run off into nearby streams, making the water poisonous. All mines these days are required to treat this runoff water. The typical way it's done is, the mining company mixes an enormous amount of lime into the water as it runs out. This congeals the metals into a hydroxide sludge, which then has to be warehoused forever.

Bioteq is a company with a new and better way to deal with this water. It uses biologically produced sulfides to reduce the metals, turning them into pure, marketable form. The remaining runoff water is safe to drink.

They make their money by selling the recovered metals, and the payback on a plant is incredibly fast. With today's metal prices, they can recover their capital costs in less than a year. In other words, they make 100% profit by year 2, and the plant just keeps producing more metals. The mine companies want to work with them, because Bioteq eliminates the cost they would have to pay for standard treatments.

Bioteq is still fairly small, but growing fast. They have 4 operating plants, and 2 more scheduled to open late this year. More are under construction or scheduled for construction. Based on my back-of-the-envelope calculations, Bioteq should have a 2008 P/E of 25, which is incredibly cheap considering their profits should grow 50% annually for the next 3 years.

The stock is only traded on the Toronto exchange, under the symbol BQE.TO. It's fun (or scary) to watch. Today it opened at 3.69, dropped to 3.50 in the morning, and climbed back to 3.89 by the close. Your $20,000 would have lost $1000, then gained back another $2000.

[/ QUOTE ]

WINNNNNNNAR!!!

good job!

Barron
Old 07-29-2007, 08:47 AM

Old 07-29-2007, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WINNNNNNNAR!!!

good job!

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

jopke?

do you concur that this would be a good place to stick this money?

if its +EV in the end, but has a high risk of ruin, but also a good chance of making a [censored] ton...thats fine w/ me.

i think you might have been joking, but if you were not, please say here that you concur.

if a few other knowledgeable people also concur i'll send the cashiers check to etrade and buy 20k worth of the stock...and send $100 over to the ideaman

[/ QUOTE ]

no dude, flat out serious. i love that idea for a few reasons (in terms of your 20k criteria)

1) there is a potention for a very large score if things go well (in terms of expectation i'd say it is at least + EV in a small way if not more. i'm no stock expert but the way i see it, the distribution of events that would make this stock move seem to tilt to the "up" side)

2) it is something that nobody else here would ever think of

3) dr. frink recommends it

4) it seems highly volatile and thus you are promised a fun ride watching it move. maybe the daily moves won't match your poker swings, but at least you'll not have to think while you watch it dance

so for those reasons (mainly 1 and 4...though 3 is important as well) i think it is the best decision you can make with your 20k check that has yet been mentioned and that i can think of otherwise given your criteria.

Barron