Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: \"Earn $30,000 Per Month Playing Online Poker\" by Ryan Wiseman

I have also heard you can earn $30,000 a month stuffing envelopes. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

With that said, Is it worth for me to read this book ?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, save the money and play another SnG instead, you'll probably learn more. Just keep playing and rereading Moshman's book.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:36 PM

First off I want Ryan Wiseman to step out of his igloo or whatever he is in up in Canada and post to defend his book seeing as he is a member here and promoted these forums in the book itself.

I also want him to put up his playing usernames so he can be Sharkscoped. His book advocates strongly looking up other players using programs like Poker Prophecy and even trading databases with other regulars at your sit n go buy in level that you play at to find out info on opponents. I think fair is fair if you want to see other people's stats why not share your own rather than letting your publisher put out their little press release bio on you with your claim of making 100k.

Okay now as far as the questions-No ICM mention although his bubble strategy seems to be what those that are ICM knowledgeable would advocate he doesnt seem to really go further and explain it all out. Also some of his plays late in the tourney on the bubble I think are kinda borderline based on ICM.

For a beginner this book would probably leave you with more questions than answers and more leaks to plug. The style he suggests you play has some huge flaws. I feel to even call it a system or a style would be wrong because it is soo incomplete.

I feel it is a letdown but hey like I said before it is 13 bucks and I have decided I don't have a gambling addiction as much as I have a gambling book addiction so it didn't make me feel too bad to buy this book even though it is a disappointment.

I like the idea of the book of taking someone at a low level, taking them to the higher levels, and basicly showing how to grind up a bankroll with guidelines. I would have liked him to show based on ROI how many games you can play at one level before you can expect to move on and suggestions as to what your goals should be each day so you can stay on track for reaching your target. He needs to explore ICM and present a lot more situations on each level using the ICM theory and getting a reader used to applying it while also keeping in mind the mindset of players at each level and how that may change ones own decision making in each situation.

I think basicly I would like the same book but just have Eric "Sheets" Haber, or Jennifear write it. ha
Old 10-19-2007, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So for the 10-55 dollar SNG's you will use the same strategy which for example suggests you limp AK because nobody will fold at the lower levels so just limp it. Also if you catch top pair and top kicker you are to go all in if someone bets into you otherwise bet out 75 percent of the pot. It doesnt really say what you do if you bet and are called... TOTALLY leaves you hanging. I have a huge problem with a book that is written for supposedly beginners yet fails to follow through with proper advice. It basicly is a giveaway that the book is just mostly filler and the author was too lazy to actually get down into the strategic substance that is needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are assuming that the author knows anything of substance.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:46 AM

Thanks for the review.

I'm a sucker for these sorts of books.
You just saved me some money.

Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:52 AM

it was always going to be a useless book. The title alone should have been enough.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The title alone should have been enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jay:

That may not be correct. Sometimes publishers do silly things and surprise their authors.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 10-27-2007, 08:23 PM

I don't really understand the purpose of writing a book on how to crush the SNGs at PP when US players can't even play there. Obviously, the majority of those that grabbed this book were probably US customers, so thanks for whatever good this book has to offer. Hmm, that table looks a bit wobbly, I HAVE AN IDEA!

And, I have to agree with Rockasilly, I think Sheets could write a pretty decent book. I also share an addiction to all this poker literature. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand the purpose of writing a book on how to crush the SNGs at PP when US players can't even play there.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was written by a Canadian, presumably directed towards that, and the foreign, market (it looks to have been printed in the UK as well).

For an absolute beginner, I actually don't see the book as that bad. It's pretty prescriptive in telling beginners how to play these tourneys. But it does look like it's been put together as not much more than a newsletter that the authors had initially written it as.

One of the first things that I read that struck me as unusual was in the second chapter, where the author says (I'm paraphrasing), "We're going to assume you have some understanding of pot odds". This was after the first chapter outlining how to open an online account at Partypoker.

I wonder who Wiseman is? It's not easy to make $30K a month playing SNG's and go completely unnoticed by the poker community. Wiseman's probably a pseudonym. I know RyanGHall is from the same part of Canada and has probably put up those $'s.

Anyway, it's obviously not directed at the market that cruises 2+2, but I'm not sure that it's a total disaster for the beginner either.

Jase
Old 10-28-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With a title like that even if it had any good content it would still be a dud, it comes off as huckster bs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Who would ever buy a book from anyone who uses titles like 'how to make $100,000 a year'?