Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2006, 02:28 PM

Default Re: The Mathematics of Poker

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of sounding humorless, Overland Park, KS was #6 on Money Magazine's best places to live for 2006. It's really a nice place to live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite the contrary. That was a very humorous post. I didn't know Money Magazine was into such subtle humor either.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:59 PM

Yep. It ranks even higher than Eden Prarie, MN which is 10. That's probably because Math of Poker will get there faster!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yep. It ranks even higher than Eden Prarie, MN which is 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's even funnier. I guess those folks at Money do have a sense of humor.

Do the people who make up those lists ever visit the places they are ranking? I think not. They just go online and compare statistics for "quality of life" factors. I currently live in the Twin Cities area, and have spent a lot of time in the KC area (including Overland Park). I would not consider for a nanosecond voluntarily living in either.

I'm surprised they didn't have Boulder on there, like most such lists do. The only good thing about Boulder is that it is so close to Colorado.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do the people who make up those lists ever visit the places they are ranking? I think not. They just go online and compare statistics for "quality of life" factors. I currently live in the Twin Cities area, and have spent a lot of time in the KC area (including Overland Park). I would not consider for a nanosecond voluntarily living in either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Eden Prairie is a little cookie cutterish (but better than Utah where I've lived or small town Idaho where I live now). But other than that and the winter climate I'd rank it reasonably high. I didn't live in Eden Prairie, but did work there for a while and lived in the eastern part of Bloomington for about 5 years which is almost the same. Different strokes I guess.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:56 PM

These little polls/surveys on 'most liveable city' and so forth should really consider that some people actually would prefer to not live in a cookie-cutterish suburb strip-mall area.

Probably should add in a "risk of killing oneself due to boredom" factor to the study.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:07 PM

I lived in Eden Prairie prior to moving to AZ in Aug 2005. It was a great place to live because it was just outside the "big city" but had a "country" feel to it. However, I never actually ever did anything inside Eden Prairie itself, it is just in a good location to reside where everything you need is just a short drive away. I worked downtown which was not a horrible drive unless it snowed... Canterbury not far away... Airport not really that far... etc....
Old 12-01-2006, 10:56 AM

Default Good News/Bad News/Good News

Good News: the books made it to the warehouse yesterday.

Bad News: a fairly bad snow storm hit the area yesterday and last night. Upwards of 11 inches.

Good News: I don't know how they managed it, but the warehouse claims to have shipped a lot of books yesterday.

It's possible (though given the weather I would not count on it) that some of you will see your book arrive today. More likely the first books will begin to arrive on Monday.

Chuck
Old 12-01-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Good News/Bad News/Good News

Thanks for the info Chuck. As always great job dealing with us gotta-have-it-asap types. I just got mine an hour ago. So they did get a few out despite the weather. Looks good can't wait to rip into it.
~Zereth
Old 12-01-2006, 11:46 PM

Sorry to sound ignorant, but does this mean Amazon may be shipping their orders as well? I hate having to wait until their Jan date. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2006, 07:22 PM

Got mine today. Very fast since I didnt place my order till late night wednesday. From the initial look at the book I have a feeling that its going to make me feel very stupid. I look forward to it.