Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 07-27-2007, 06:48 AM

Default Getting run over in home game

I've been playing in a home game twice a week for over a month now and of the 12+ regulars, all but except for one is a loose, calling station. Two players have been killing me, both are maniacs betting with air most of the time. One will not fold to my bets and will always reraise or put me all in at some point.

It is a 1/2 game with a $100 buy in that has players rebuying very often so that a lot of the players have much larger stacks.

There is 0 fold equity there so I've been playing very tight and only betting when I have a strong hand knowing that every hand will have to go to a showdown. But these hand are very few and far between and I'm getting bullied by players who I can't seem to bully back because they call or reraise everything.

An example is I had AA UTG+1 bet 12 PF, got 2 callers, bet 25 on the flop, 2 callers, 40 on turn, 2 callers, checked the river, one puts me all in for 150 on a 357/8/2 board. I muck and the maniac who has been bullying me for a while show Q5.

What is the optimum strategy against this game? I have only been playing big cards, as I am having a hard time getting to a flop with a PP looking for a set because of PF raises hurting my implied odds.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Getting run over in home game

Make good hands. Bet them. Don't fold them just because they aren't the nuts and somebody put you to a decision.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:51 AM

This be some great theory.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Stop playing the lottery?

I don't know man. If you're getting worked at these games and you can't get these guys figured out maybe stop playing there twice a week.

Based on your story here's a small problem I see (please bear in mind that I am not a professional poker player).

You look down and see two Aces looking back. You reach for some chips and put them in the pot. Two players come along. The flop hits and it's trash, you put some more chips in the pot but they're still there. Turn is a brick but if someone flopped the nuts, they still have it (we can't really concern ourselves with this). You reach down and grab some more chips and fire them into the pot but we just can't shake these two (good thing we have pocket Aces on our team). Another brick falls and you check...then:

Known insane person pushes the rest of his chips much closer to where they belong. Granted they don't go quite all the way to you, they end up in the middle of the pot, thus growing a substantial pot substantialer. Then you look down at your Aces and credit "Known Insane Gambooler" with the straight, a set, two-pair, slow-played pocket Jokers, etc...except he has chit, just like he's had the entire night.

If I'm in your shoes I lose a lot of money if Captain Insano has something...because he's a known lunatic.

Don't play at this game anymore. Sign-up for a free fantasy account at ESPN. Download ESPN Poker. Play there. Once you can beat that game...you're ready.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM

Can I have the address of this game?
Old 07-27-2007, 01:57 PM

I'm in shock you folded the Aces after you described how these guys play, to me it sounds like the guy would most likely have TPTK or something along those lines or just think you may be weak and it was a good time to steal, I don't see how you couldnt' call that to be hoenst that way those lunatics had been playing.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:58 PM

The advice here assumes this is a bad game, but really it's a great game.

I play in a homegame too where there are different people that will sometimes show up. A few are maniacs, always overbetting and taking control of the table even against a couple of real good players there. They feel they need to win every pot and do so by raising and reraising untill you give up. This is where most people go wrong. They do give up. Everyone is off their game because this guy raises and raises like he has the nuts and they can't raise without the nuts themselves, because they are afraid to be reraised.

I think these players are great to play against, if you can stand the variance, because every hand you play is going to be for stacks or at least very big pots.

Normally I buy in short stay very tight... Making some conversation waiting for a hand and trying to figure out if I can spot some tells (obviously these maniacs are not very good at the game and often terrible at hiding their tells).

Once I find a good hand I like to see a flop and go for stacks if I like it. Let him reraise so you can put it all in. You don't need the nuts. Against these players TPTK is good enough to play a big pot. They'll bet and raise with bottom pair or even air as you said. You might loose a couple of buyins where he actually had a better hand or sucked out on you, but these players will often call with worse hands even if you raise big. They'll expect you to be like them and think you are playing back with nothing much. Especially if you are real short and planning to play for a while then play back for everything with nothing and show him. He'll we calling you with crap the rest of the night.
Since he's calling with crap and you're not and his average hand has a lot less showdown value than yours you automatically beat him when you stay tight preflop and have a good hand postflop (TPTK is a monster against him).

You will need to expect huge swings, because these opponents play every hand they like (which is almost any hand) for as many chips they can and as you know noone is ever really much ahead or behind, so they'll suck out and sometimes catch a decent hand themselves.

<font color="red"> Edit: assuming NL </font>
Old 07-27-2007, 04:02 PM

is there any chance at all that this "game" takes place in or around las vegas??? please say it does! if not, i can and will travel.....thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing in a home game twice a week for over a month now and of the 12+ regulars, all but except for one is a loose, calling station. Two players have been killing me, both are maniacs betting with air most of the time. One will not fold to my bets and will always reraise or put me all in at some point.

It is a 1/2 game with a $100 buy in that has players rebuying very often so that a lot of the players have much larger stacks.

There is 0 fold equity there so I've been playing very tight and only betting when I have a strong hand knowing that every hand will have to go to a showdown. But these hand are very few and far between and I'm getting bullied by players who I can't seem to bully back because they call or reraise everything.

An example is I had AA UTG+1 bet 12 PF, got 2 callers, bet 25 on the flop, 2 callers, 40 on turn, 2 callers, checked the river, one puts me all in for 150 on a 357/8/2 board. I muck and the maniac who has been bullying me for a while show Q5.

What is the optimum strategy against this game? I have only been playing big cards, as I am having a hard time getting to a flop with a PP looking for a set because of PF raises hurting my implied odds.

[/ QUOTE ]
Id like to scream at you!! Your just outmatched here in this game. You have to start playing back at them. You example of a hand was HORRIBLE!!! I check that river to get them to make that move and I snap call! The best strategy to win money is to play with people worse than you. Dont play with the bullys. Aviod pots with them, but when they bully you, make a stand!!! Id they raise you, push! If they bet, Push. They wont be bullying you long! You need to gamvle sometimes!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 08:41 PM

I'll pay you a buy-in if you tell me when and where this game is.

Listen to Delicious and MVD...they are perfectly on point.