Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 07:24 PM

Default Trent Lott\'s Comeback

Trent Lott beat Lamar Alexander by a 25-24 vote to become Senate minority whip.

New York Times article

Time magazine article

I've got no specific like or dislike for Lott. But, I did think he got screwed four years ago. It wasn't surprising that Jesse Jackson would spin Lott's comments about Strom Thurmond in a way Lott had't intemded. But, I've read that Bill Frist really manipulated the situation behind the scenese in order to allow him to ascend to Senate leadership. That struck me as a bit back-stabbing.

Besides, comebacks are fun cheer for. Go Trent.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Trent Lott\'s Comeback

[ QUOTE ]
But, I've read that President Bush and Karl Rove really manipulated the situation behind the scenese

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I'm pretty sure Inside-the-Beltway buzz was that the 2002 supplanting of Lott with Frist was a Rove-engineered coup. Having said that, Rove didn't put Lott's foot in his mouth.

And I think it's pretty darn clear what Lott meant at Strom Thurmond's birthday. Certainly, I can't be inside Lott's head, but what I do know is that the administration and other GOP leaders saw Lott as a political liability circa 2002, for the reason that his comments weren't all that veiled, nor subtle. To claim that Jesse Jackson "spun" Lott's words totally ignores the fact that even President Bush conceded the obvious:

"Any suggestion that the segregated past was acceptable or positive is offensive, and it is wrong. Recent comments by Senator Lott do not reflect the spirit of our country. He has apologized and rightly so. Every day that our nation was segregated was a day our nation was unfaithful to our founding ideals." - President Bush, December 2002

Frankly, to the GOP's credit, they've tried really hard to shed the image Lott/Tancredo/et al have projected, hence why Rove and other forward-thinkers in the party have no use for these guys.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:56 PM

Yet another example of how you can't beat somebody with nobody. Lamar is an empty suit.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:01 PM

Lott was ousted 4 years ago only because the administration wanted him ousted and had the political clout to make it happen. Lott is back becuase the administration doesn't have the clout to prevent him from coming back. My oh My how fortunes change in 4 years.

Stu
Old 11-15-2006, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[
And I think it's pretty darn clear what Lott meant at Strom Thurmond's birthday.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never gotten any impression other than Lott was trying to be nice to an old friend who was retiring after long service in the Senate.

I have no doubt Democrats will say very nice things about Robert Byrd when he retires depite his former membership in the KKK.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never gotten any impression other than Lott was trying to be nice to an old friend who was retiring after long service in the Senate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then your impression is seemingly different than everyone else's, save a few right-wingers. Like I said, even President Bush (who you'd expect should support his partisan ally) condemned Trent Lott's comment -- probably not something he'd do if Lott's comments were all that innocuous.

[ QUOTE ]
I have no doubt Democrats will say very nice things about Robert Byrd when he retires depite his former membership in the KKK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had Lott merely been "nice" to Thurmond, no one would have batted an eye.

It's the "when Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either" comment that is clearly quesitonable, if not a barely coded endorsement of segregation.

I'm not even sure how Democrats could say something similar, but if Democrats say something like "Robert Byrd should have never left the KKK and run for President -- if he had done that, we'd have proudly voted for him, and we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years" at Robert Byrd's farewell party, then you may have a point. If they do that, I'll gladly condemn the Democrats with you.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[
And I think it's pretty darn clear what Lott meant at Strom Thurmond's birthday.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand the analogy. Maybe if Reid not-so-subtly praises Byrd's former membership in the KKK, the analogy will work. Thurmond didn't end up being a respected leftist, IIRC.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:07 PM

Damn you, DVaut1!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Besides, comebacks are fun cheer for if you're a democrat and the republican coming back will only further damage the GOP . Go Trent.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2006, 12:35 AM

Dynasty,

I am sympathetic to a lot of your political views. But Lott's comments, at best, were completely inappropriate. I dont like Lott very much because of his defense of government pork. And he is at least somewhat of a liability. The Repubs are imploding somewhat here. The meltdown will be complete if they keep the existing leadership in place. Thank goodness that Pelosi seems determined to make decisions that will give the Republicans some fodder the next time around.