Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 AM

Default Khaled El-Masri gets nothing

In the news the Supreme Court of the US declined to hear Khaled El-Masri's appeal. Here's the facts according to El-Masri and some music to accompany his story.

Cliff notes of facts:
El-Masri was kidnapped in Macedonia, sent to a secret CIA prison, tortured, then after 4 months dumped in Albania. He'd like some money and an apology, so he sued in US courts. The government claimed the suit would reveal state secrets so based on their word the case was tossed.
/Cliff notes of facts

I read the facts and I'm pissed by the incompetence of it all. Even if you believe torture is necessary, should it be your opening move? Once you figure out the guy is a car salesman, why not give him an apology and some cash, is admitting a mistake really that painful?

[ QUOTE ]
My requests to meet with a representative of the German government, a lawyer, or to be brought before a court, were repeatedly ignored.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's as if he views habeas corpus as a human right, despite not being an American citizen. Thank goodness Congress eliminated habeas for the likes of him.

[ QUOTE ]
In March, I, along with several other inmates, commenced a hunger strike to protest our confinement without charges. After 27 days without food, I was allowed to meet with two unmasked Americans, one of whom was the prison director and the second an even higher official whom other inmates referred to as “the Boss.” I pleaded with them to either release me or bring me to court, but the American prison director replied that he could not release me without permission from Washington. He also said that I should not be detained in the prison. On day 37 of my hunger strike I was dragged into an interrogation room, tied to a chair, and a feeding tube was forced through my nose to my stomach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is he still be treated as a prisoner 10 days after the director figures out he is innocent? They were doing God's work when they thought he was a terrorist, what were they doing after they knew he was not?

Claiming state secrets is a tactic the government has been using with increasing frequency and allows them to thwart justice at the whim of the executive.

Does anybody really believe the government claim that the case would necessarily expose state secrets? Other than they have some sadistic bastards working for them who belong in jail, but that is not much of a secret.

This case is not unique. Notice how much better the Canadians deal with a mistake.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Khaled El-Masri gets nothing

[ QUOTE ]
In the news the Supreme Court of the US declined to hear Khaled El-Masri's appeal. Here's the facts according to El-Masri and some music to accompany his story.

Cliff notes of facts:
El-Masri was kidnapped in Macedonia, sent to a secret CIA prison, tortured, then after 4 months dumped in Albania. He'd like some money and an apology, so he sued in US courts. The government claimed the suit would reveal state secrets so based on their word the case was tossed.
/Cliff notes of facts

I read the facts and I'm pissed by the incompetence of it all. Even if you believe torture is necessary, should it be your opening move? Once you figure out the guy is a car salesman, why not give him an apology and some cash, is admitting a mistake really that painful?

[ QUOTE ]
My requests to meet with a representative of the German government, a lawyer, or to be brought before a court, were repeatedly ignored.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's as if he views habeas corpus as a human right, despite not being an American citizen. Thank goodness Congress eliminated habeas for the likes of him.

[ QUOTE ]
In March, I, along with several other inmates, commenced a hunger strike to protest our confinement without charges. After 27 days without food, I was allowed to meet with two unmasked Americans, one of whom was the prison director and the second an even higher official whom other inmates referred to as “the Boss.” I pleaded with them to either release me or bring me to court, but the American prison director replied that he could not release me without permission from Washington. He also said that I should not be detained in the prison. On day 37 of my hunger strike I was dragged into an interrogation room, tied to a chair, and a feeding tube was forced through my nose to my stomach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is he still be treated as a prisoner 10 days after the director figures out he is innocent? They were doing God's work when they thought he was a terrorist, what were they doing after they knew he was not?

Claiming state secrets is a tactic the government has been using with increasing frequency and allows them to thwart justice at the whim of the executive.

Does anybody really believe the government claim that the case would necessarily expose state secrets? Other than they have some sadistic bastards working for them who belong in jail, but that is not much of a secret.

This case is not unique. Notice how much better the Canadians deal with a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prime example of human rights.

"I'm not aware of any situation in the world where there is a system of jurisprudence that is recognized by civilized people where an individual can be tried and convicted without seeing the evidence against him," said Brig. Gen. James Walker, U.S. Marine Corps staff judge advocate.

More: Bush wants extending authorization for warrantless wiretapping
Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM

Damn rent seeker!

*I kid, I kid
Old 10-10-2007, 08:55 PM

at leasst they didn't torture him since the US doesn't torture.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:50 PM

I wonder what Ron Paul would say about this?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 AM

this issue honestly pisses me off beyond belief and I wandered into this forum to post about it.

The thing is politically, no matter who is in power the outcome would be the same. The folks in charge of 'national security' have a free reign in this country to do whatever they damn please. It has been like this since America emerged as a player in global politics during WWII. The sad thing is no one is going to care as long as guys who seem blatantly connected to the enemy, as in a guy named Khaled El-Masri, get kidnapped. During the War no cared that the Japanese were interned. During the Red Scare no one cared that Communist sympathizers were being monitored by the intelligence services and having their lives ruined. It is the state of democracy in this country.