Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 11:35 AM

Default NL5: Facing reraise with QQ, undercards on board, turn line?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.04 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $4.42
BB: $2.02
UTG: $4.88
UTG+1: $1.96
Hero (MP1): $4.74
MP2: $2.37
MP3: $4.82
CO: $2.15
BTN: $8.68

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.16</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="red">MP3 raises to $0.50</font>, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.34

Flop: ($1.06) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP3 bets $1.00</font>, Hero calls $1.00

Turn: ($3.06) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero???

Very difficult I think, could have AK, could have KK/AA, could have JJ.
How should I proceed? C/r, c/c, c/f, b/f, going allin?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: NL5: Facing reraise with QQ, undercards on board, turn line?

I think you have to make your decision on the turn, calling there virtually accomplishes nothing except you hoping to hit your 2 outer. So, raise or fold, and as this is NL4, I wouldn't even mind a minraise to 2 $. If he shoves you can release safely, if he calls I guess I shove a blank turn. If he folds, oh well, even better...
Old 09-27-2007, 11:46 AM

I don't like your c/c on the flop. It's ok if you got reads on your opponent that he's aggressive and might bet on flop and turn with AK or a weaker pair, but against an unknown I don't like it.

You got absolutely no idea where you stand, and must decide whether to call him down all the way or give it up without any information.
I'd bet the flop and be done when he reraises.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:49 AM

QQ is an annoying hand to have when you get re-raised. It was probably one of the most expensive lessons I learned when I started, I was always eager getting it in on low flops with QQ against PF 3-bettor thinking he might have JJ or bluffing with AK. But I don't remember villain ever having a worse hand than I did.

You have no reads on villain? This is basicaly one of those spots where you really have to make the decisions PF IMO. Its true that you can play for set value since his raise is not that large to the stacks (120BB deep).

If he was very loose and aggressive I'd 4-bet him PF, otherwise you should have bet flop to find out if he has AK or a higher pair. The thing is that most players have a very tight 3-bet range at NL5. I think its very rare to get 3-bet with JJ or worse (if villain is a maniac then its different). But against an unknown its likely you are up against AK or KK+. Betting the flop would have allowed AK to fold/call or KK+ to raise. By check-calling you found out nothing and are essentially committed. If you are confident that you're ahead of his range you can CRAI if not then you made a mistake before the turn.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:50 AM

I guess you meant the flop not the turn?
By only calling I hoped he might second barrel with air, but I guess as you said, it's better to make a stand on the flop and make my decision easy.

Alright, you made it clear for me.

I hate QQ because of these spots against a 3-Bet OOP.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:55 AM

Why the flop check? I don't see how he's got a 5, so the only hands I'm worried about are JJ, AA and KK. There is a CHANCE he has AKd, but I'm not overly concerned about it.

Bet out on the flop unless you're trying to slow play. If that's true, then you got what you wanted in a bet you can call and a seemingly blank turn.

As played, you're in a bind. You really don't know where he is. You have $3.24 left in a $3 pot. With an over pair and little chance he has a 5, I push. I don't see how you can get away from this hand now.

Prefered line: Bet $1 on the flop. If he calls, he has a J. If he raises, you're beat.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 AM

Yeah, sorry! I was talking about the flop of course!
Old 09-27-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why the flop check? I don't see how he's got a 5, so the only hands I'm worried about are JJ, AA and KK. There is a CHANCE he has AKd, but I'm not overly concerned about it.

Bet out on the flop unless you're trying to slow play. If that's true, then you got what you wanted in a bet you can call and a seemingly blank turn.

As played, you're in a bind. You really don't know where he is. You have $3.24 left in a $3 pot. With an over pair and little chance he has a 5, I push. I don't see how you can get away from this hand now.

Prefered line: Bet $1 on the flop. If he calls, he has a J. If he raises, you're beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems logical. I pushed on the turn (in spite of my initial plan to make him second barrel with AK, another mistake I guess) and he called instantly. (AA)
Old 09-28-2007, 09:33 AM

I thought about the hand once again, and I came to the point, that I really hate a donkbet on the flop.
If he calls, I have no idea where I stand.
If he raises, I can fold, but if I were the Reraiser, I would also raise a donk with air in that spot (a lot of foldequity). So no information as well.
If I check, and he bets, I have no idea, too.
If I check and he checks, it is still difficult to put him on a hand.

I actually hate the whole hand/situation and I don't know how it's played best.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually hate the whole hand/situation and I don't know how it's played best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why not just fold preflop?