Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 08:49 PM

Default Re: Top 10 College Football teams of the last decade

I honestly think USC has to be #1. They had 3 straight years of being dominant, as well as a very good team last year. Even though they weren't very good in the first part of the decade, the last 5 years have more than made up for it.

1. USC
2. Miami
3. Ohio State
4. Florida State
5. Florida
6. Michigan (yeah, I'm a bit of a homer)
7. Oklahoma
8. Texas
9. LSU
10. Tennessee

Oklahoma and Texas are very close. Oklahoma loses major points for their National Championship win being the ugliest game I have ever seen, that's why they're so low. Michigan has been the most consistent team over the past 10 years, 1 NC (albeit shared), and their worst season being 7-5.

On my list
Possibly too high: Florida State, Ohio State
Possibly too low: LSU, Oklahoma

Honorable mentions: Virginia Tech, Nebraska. Nebraska has not been good enough from 1999 on to earn a spot.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:49 PM

Oklahoma's not getting anywhere near enough credit here. They're clearly ahead of Texas. Texas had the one big year recently, but in the last decade, Oklahoma has 4 conference championships. Texas has 1, the same number as Texas A&M and Kansas State. Put another way, Texas has made the Big XII championship 3 times and went 1-2. Oklahoma reached the national championship 3 times and went 1-2.

If I were going to make a list, it would look something like this:

1. Florida St (7 conference championships, 3 NC appearances)
2. Oklahoma (4 conference championships, 3 NC appearances)
3. USC (4 conference championships, 3 top two finishes)
4. Ohio State (top team in Big Ten, 2 NC appearances)
5. Michigan
6. Florida
7. Miami
8. Texas
9. Tennessee
10. Nebraska
Old 07-25-2007, 09:55 PM

Doing it college poll style, with a final ranking of #1 worth 25 points and #25 worth 1 point, the total AP top 25 over the last 10 years looks like this:

Michigan Total 148
Texas Total 144
Florida Total 137
Florida St. Total 137
Ohio St. Total 137
Miami (FL) Total 135
Oklahoma Total 131
Georgia Total 128
Southern California Total 118
Louisiana St. Total 113
Tennessee Total 108
Virginia Tech Total 105
Kansas St. Total 102
Nebraska Total 99
Auburn (AL) Total 88
Wisconsin Total 84
Penn St. Total 69
Washington St. Total 66
Oregon Total 63
Boise St. (ID) Total 56
Louisville (KY) Total 56
Iowa Total 54
Alabama Total 51
Notre Dame (IN) Total 50
UCLA Total 49
Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 PM

Awesome that Iowa has a higher total than the almighty ND.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oklahoma's not getting anywhere near enough credit here. They're clearly ahead of Texas. Texas had the one big year recently, but in the last decade, Oklahoma has 4 conference championships. Texas has 1, the same number as Texas A&M and Kansas State. Put another way, Texas has made the Big XII championship 3 times and went 1-2. Oklahoma reached the national championship 3 times and went 1-2.

If I were going to make a list, it would look something like this:

1. Florida St (7 conference championships, 3 NC appearances)
2. Oklahoma (4 conference championships, 3 NC appearances)
3. USC (4 conference championships, 3 top two finishes)
4. Ohio State (top team in Big Ten, 2 NC appearances)
5. Michigan
6. Florida
7. Miami
8. Texas
9. Tennessee
10. Nebraska

[/ QUOTE ]

Only teams like FSU get vastly overrated if you do it like this because of weaker conferences. I don't care what any ratings say. How could they not win the ACC in those years? They have 3 ACC titles from 2 5 loss and 1 3 loss seasons.
Most title seasons they lost to Miami and any other major ranked team they played.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Michigan has been the most consistent team over the past 10 years, 1 NC (albeit shared), and their worst season being 7-5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Texas & OSU have higher winning %s, albeit 1 worse season than Michigan. Michigan is only 2nd to FSU in conf win% though.

This shows the weakness of FSU's conf play, they are #1 in confwin% but only 6th in overall win%. Only 5-5 vs UF, only 5-5 in bowl games & a losing record vs Miami.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 PM

All that shows is that Florida State's conference schedule was weak relative to their non-conference schedule. However, the Noles played one of the toughst non-conference schedules in the country, year in and year out. They played Miami and Florida every single year which are both top-ten programs whereas Texas and Ohio State almost never played premiere games like that until the last couple years.

Also, a 5-5 bowl record isn't really bad when you consider that 3 of those bowl games were national championship games and that 4 more were BCS games. I can see an argument for putting Oklahoma ahead of Florida State, but not really anyone else. USC for instance was about the same as FSU in their top three seasons (1 championship, two runner-up years), but was much worse in their bad seasons. Even if the ACC was weak, the 6th and 7th best USC teams over the last decade (the 8-5 team from 1998 and the 6-5 team from 1997) wouldn't have been good enough to win any conference.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
)UF: 1 NC, #4 win% in maybe toughest conf

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe???

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a SEC "fanboy", I didn't want to go proclaiming they are with out any actual data. How do the conferences break down over the past decade? Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I broke down the Sagarin ratings from 2001-2005 and the Pac-10 came out on top with the ACC second. The real conclusion is, while there was some year to year variance, there really wasn't a lot of discrepancy from the big 5 conferences over that five year span. I would suspect that over any ten year period in the BCS era, this would be the case. The real question is, was 2006 an aberration for the Big East or are we finally talking about a true big 6 conferences?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sagarin, Schmagarin. The SEC is THE football conference and has been for a while now. Great teams emerge from other conferences, obv, but no one has the combination of elite teams plus depth, year in, year out, that the SEC does.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:08 AM

Of course that's all it shows based on what I wrote but their conference schedule was weak relative to to other team's conference schedules.

UF played 3 teams every year that are in the top 10 in win% and a 4th team from this top 10 in conference play.

FSU played no body in the top 40 until the Big East joined their conference.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:22 AM

I think Oklahoma gets hurt due to their poor late-season performances. I don't exactly remember when they happened, but the Nat'l Championship game they won against FSU was just a terribly played game by both sides. Also, they had the huge loss in the Big XII Champ game against a very average Kansas State team one year. Plus, they lost in the BCS Championship game twice I believe, once getting absolutely destroyed by USC.