Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 10:21 AM

Default 2-7: pretty standard break on the last draw?

I've played less than 20 hands with villain, so basically no reads. I assume everyone at 5/10 has at least a basic level of competence. Basic tendencies of the 5/10 games on Stars seem to be that everyone wants to go pat as quickly as possible, nobody ever breaks and everybody will always pay off.

Triple Draw 2-7 Lowball Limit ($5/$10) (converter)

SB ($453.50), Seat 2
BB ($282), Seat 3
UTG ($295), Seat 5
Hero ($213), Seat 1

Button at Seat 1.
SB posts $2. BB posts $5.

Hand: [Js 4s Ts 7s 2d]

Round 1: (1.40 SB)

<font color="red">UTG raises. </font><font color="red">Hero raises. </font><font color="green">SB calls. </font><font color="#666666">BB folds. </font><font color="green">UTG calls. </font>
SB takes 2. UTG takes 2. Hero discards Js Ts.

Hand: [4s 7s 2d 9d 6s]

Round 2: (10.00 SB)

<font color="green">SB checks. </font><font color="green">UTG checks. </font><font color="red">Hero bets. </font><font color="#666666">SB folds. </font><font color="green">UTG calls. </font>
UTG takes 2. Hero stands pat.

Hand: [4s 7s 2d 6s 6d]

Round 3: (6.00 BB)

<font color="green">UTG checks. </font><font color="red">Hero bets. </font><font color="green">UTG calls. </font>
UTG stands pat. Hero discards 9d.

Hand: [4s 7s 2d 6s 6d]

Round 4: (8.00 BB)

<font color="green">UTG checks. </font><font color="green">Hero checks. </font>

Total pot: (8.00 BB - $80)
Old 06-07-2007, 10:34 AM

Default Re: 2-7: pretty standard break on the last draw?

Action is weird, but I would just draw at this. You'll get plenty of folds 1:2.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:43 AM

You'd break the 97 after the first draw? I was planning to draw, but then SB surprisingly folded, so I figured a pat 9 was good enough.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd break the 97 after the first draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Your equity's about the same, you won't get very many more folds on third 0:2 than you will 1:2, and you'll have the opportunity to put more good bets in if you catch.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Action is weird, but I would just draw at this. You'll get plenty of folds 1:2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur vs tougher opponents, but we have to keep in mind that if you know your opponent's range is at best a 96xxx then you should stand pat - the pot is too large to risk.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:00 PM

People at 5/10 c/c pat against a pat before the last draw with hilariously strong hands like an 86. I have even had people c/c pat with #3-5 more than once in the same session. I would almost be surprised if the villain did not hold an 8 of some sort here. Since it's 5/10 I assume villain is easy to play against so I just stay pat after first draw, if he was tough I'd think about drawing.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:10 PM

Why is a villain c/cing here with an 8-6 hilarious? If I was villain with an 8-7-5 on round 3 I'd sooner c/f than c/r. Villain c/r with an 8-6 on round 3 here is correct but its close.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:48 PM

Funny thing is that he actually c/c pat with a 98532. I missed, of course, river went check-check, and I was like, lol, wtf? How can you think that's ever good? He also got really lucky in that I held just about the only hand I would break. I'd probably just sigh and take the showdown with a 96 or an 876.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since it's 5/10 I assume villain is easy to play against so I just stay pat after first draw, if he was tough I'd think about drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is entirely backwards. Tough players will make folds 2:0 even some times when they improve, so it makes more sense to pat early against them in this situation. Meanwhile weak players will not get away from their hands when they are drawing dead to your made seven, so it makes more sense to draw against them.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since it's 5/10 I assume villain is easy to play against so I just stay pat after first draw, if he was tough I'd think about drawing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is entirely backwards. Tough players will make folds 2:0 even some times when they improve, so it makes more sense to pat early against them in this situation. Meanwhile weak players will not get away from their hands when they are drawing dead to your made seven, so it makes more sense to draw against them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough players also like putting you in tough situations when you pat early. Easy to play against players are easy to play against because when they raise you after you pat early you need to break or fold. I don't know any equity situations in 2-7 aside from the most obvious ones that everyone knows but I would assume that the 97 here has better equity against the villain's range than drawing 1, and pushing the most obvious edges is the easiest way to win against bad players. However even if I am "right" (I might not be) about the equity, breaking might be right because you'll win more when you improve and he draws dead to make up for the small equity you give up.

In regard to the situation against the weak player I am up for debate but against tough ones I feel better doing what makes it easiest for me to play my hand and that is breaking I think. This of course goes completely against what I said about playing against the bad player and pushing obvious edges, but I am only competent in 2-7. If I was a very good player I would probably feel differently.