Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Old Dell computer..

So I have an OLD Dell system (2002) that I would like to reformat. My computer has gotten really slow and bogged down with useless junk over the years. I have a bunch of useless programs, documents, videos, pictures, and random junk that I never use. Probably viruses and spyware as well. I have a bunch of windows updates, service packs, drivers, ect. that I have on the system too (probably need these).

I really just want the computer to run faster... So what I would like to do is bacically start my computer over from scratch, deleting all these old programs and junk that I never use. I DO NOT however want to have all the original useless programs that Dell pre-installs on the computer either...

Any tips on the best way to go about accomplishing this?

(Defragmenting, reformating, uninstalling, original settings? )

thanks
Old 09-11-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Old Dell computer..

If you have the original restoration CD, why not just run it so that it wipes clean and reformats the hard drive and does a complete restoration, and then you can just uninstall all the bogus software in Control Panel when it's done. Then run msconfig and uncheck all the unnecessary startup programs.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Old Dell computer..

Every dell i've worked with came with a Windows XP cd. Use that XP cd to wipe your hard drive and start from stratch. You won't have any of the crappy programs that came with your computer initially - just a clean install of XP.