Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 12:19 PM

Default PLOmaha8 ITM

45 man tourney, no real reads, last five playing a little tight.
opinions please

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Ring game
Blinds: $600/$1200
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
hero: $14275
CO: $25794
Button: $40831
SB: $40695
BB: $25405

Pre-flop: (5 players) hero is UTG with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($5400, 4 players)
BB checks, hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($5400, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets $2700</font>, hero calls, CO folds, Button calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($13500, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">hero bets $6750</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $13500</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero calls all-in $3625</font>.
Uncalled bets: $3125 returned to Button.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:53 PM

Default Re: PLOmaha8 ITM

Flop: I think potting the flop to thin the field might be a good idea. You have a set + medium flush re-draw.

Turn: I'd re-pot it; if he has jacks full (j7) or better, oh well, you're most likely committed....

River: Honstely, I'm confused by the 1/2 PSB on the river...value bet/blocking bet? You don't have that many chips behind you after the river bet...
Old 08-10-2007, 01:38 PM

I was trying to trap. My bets were getting too much respect so I thought I would try to slowplay
Old 08-10-2007, 02:33 PM

This doesn't like a good place to trap. Trapping implies that your opponents can improve and you'll still be ahead. In this case, there really weren't a lot of ways to improve your own hand, but there were plenty of scare cards against you. Since you limped, you might have been behind on the flop.

I like some kind of 1/2 pot lead bet on this flop. However, I'd need some player specific reads to interpret a flat call or a repot of the flop lead bet. As played, you have no idea whether the turn bet by BB represents a naked jack, or something better, and the button's overcall is particularly of concern and smells like a slow play of a made boat.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:43 PM

With $5400 in the pot already (more than 1/3 of your stack) there's plenty out there to win on the flop. This board is way too draw heavy to risk a free card. I'd pot the flop.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:11 PM

I hate checking the flop in a limped pot with only two players left to act behind you. A pot bet will get ~40% of your stack in on the flop. If anyone calls/raises you'll then be priced into a showdown regardless. If you want to get fancy, bet less with the intention of getting most of your chips in on the turn. This is your hand though. Your goal is to get see a showdown all-in or have everyone else fold in the process.

In ultra short stacked PLO8 you don't have any wiggle room. Yes, occasionally trapping will work and you'll feel like a genius. But in general, deceptive play is too "expensive." You lose too much value from "trapping" than you do from simply playing your cards. You just don't have enough chips relative to the blinds to get fancy.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:21 PM

Don't like the call preflop UTG at all even 5 handed.

You need to bet the flop big. Even if you're up against a straight, as long as he doesn't have 2 hearts then you're a significant favorite.

If you decide on the turn that you're calling him down, then you might as well just push all in then and there to not let him draw to jacks full on the river if he doesn't already have them.

His check raise on the river was very tricky...looks like you got outplayed, but I can't blame you for thinking you were good once he checked...still though I think I would've checked since a bad jacks full might check there.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Yea, I should of bet the flop and cut down on the number of players. My bets were driving out the other players, I tried to get greedy a make a few extra dollars. Now that I read the comments, I see i have made the same mistake before by slow playing, a leak that I should correct. Too many times a pair on the table makes someone a boat.

I'm more of a holdem player but like the more complex game Omaha8 offers.

Well the results were he turn a J6 for the full house of Jacks over 6's