Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2006, 07:34 PM

Default 2/4 Stud/8 from HORSE

Just learning how to play this game. All comments sincerely appreciated. I took notes during the hand but didn't note suits! I recall that no one appeared to be chasing a flush, although the low draw caught clubs on 5th and 6th. So flushes were possible, but highly unlikely.

I have (K4)4 and bring it in. All Ks and 4s are live. A motley collection of middle-high cards folds to (xx)6, which calls. 1 six is dead. (xx)T, immediately on my right, also calls, so I get a free play. All Ts are live.

4th brings....
(4K)44 Raises____ Calls
(xx)62 Calls ____ Calls
(xx)TT BETS ____Reraises
I think: The 4 is a great card for me. 62 is an obvious low draw. TT could have higher trips, which would be unpleasant. But I have to call here, right?

5th...

(4K)44A Calls
(xx)269 Calls
(xx)TT7 Bets
I like that the low draw bricked but not that TT continues to lead. Is this a raise/fold situation? Pressuring the bricked low draw feels right, in retrospect.

6th
(4K)44A6 Calls
(xx)2692 Calls
(xx)TT7Q Bets

The low draw continues to brick and TT keeps betting. I have a bad feeling, but decide to call it down.

7th...

(4K)44A6(Q) Calls
(xx)2629(x) Calls
(xx)TT7Q(x) Bets

Results below....

<font color="white"> TT indeed has a T in the hole.
The surprise: Busted low draw has 2 in hole and 9 on 7th for boat, wins pot.
I take the bronze. </font>
Old 09-27-2006, 08:15 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Stud/8 from HORSE

I'd fold 4th, there's a very very good chance the 10 hit trips, PLUS you are very likely going to be fighting for only half even if you are ahead. I'd find a better spot to get my chips in.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:32 PM

You raised to see if your hand was best, and the ten reraised to say that he had trips. Fold.

On 5th, even if you are pretty sure that you aren't against trips, a 4-low will never fold here against two high hands, so don't bet unless you're more than a 2 to 1 favorite (and you don't go on tilt when the 1 comes in). You're blatantly high because of the 4th street raise.

6th, you probably have to draw to a full now.

On 7th, you're still beaten often enough that you have to fold in stud 8.

In a stud high game you *might* call down on 4th because the ten didn't raise and you're playing for the whole pot, but in stud 8 you'll see a low more than half of the time in that situation. In stud 8, there's a lot less bluffing and a lot more value betting.

Your notes are pretty good, but if you just autosave hand history in the pokerstars menu and use the hand converter, it will go smoother. (I'm pretty sure you use pokerstars).
Old 09-27-2006, 09:23 PM

In Stud/8, the Ten in the door is much more likely to have a Ten or big pair in the hole than in Stud High. The big problem here is you're not really sure where you're at. His 3-bet on 4th tells you he's likely got trips.

Making things even worse is the third guy on a low draw, meaning there's a good chance you'll be playing for half the pot and get jammed in on the expensive streets. Best to cut your losses now.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:54 AM

This is an uncomfortable hand to be sure. I would probably just call on fourth. It's hard to know what TT is on, because he's almost certainly a bad player. Split Tens are rarely worth playing in stud/8, but if he three-bet fourth street with anything other than trips, he's nuts. Anyway, this is a case where you're apt to either win the minimum or lose the maximum. I think that having raised, you should call the three-bet and hope lightning strikes on fifth. When it doesn't, you should probably get out. Having the low draw in there diminishes your incentive to chase greatly, and you're not going to get him off of it no matter what you do.