Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 06:12 PM

Default AJo Blind Defense

9/18 Commerce.

Game is somewhat tight, lots of chopped blinds and a couple stolen blinds in the last couple rotations. Many players are getting a bit frustrated with the lack of action.

Preflop:
An LAG but somewhat smart player raises first in on the button. Hero reraises with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop:
8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks, villian bets, Hero raises, villian 3-bets, hero calls

Turn:
J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, villian bets, Hero calls

River:
K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets, villian calls.

On the turn I was 80% I had the best hand, but thought the check/call would get me the most out of my hand. I knew he'd call on the river for one more if he cleared the turn. Standard? Comments on any streets?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: AJo Blind Defense

why no flop lead?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why no flop lead?

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously. did he cap it PF or something?

if not, lead the flop and call a raise, not the other way around. then c/r the turn when you nail TPTK.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:31 PM

Didn't lead the flop only because I was 99% certain he'd bet and give me a chance to hit him, and he seemed good enough to know that the standard play was to bet out here with overcards. I read his play preflop as a complete blind steal, and wanted to confuse and charge him the maximum for the play. Knew he expected me to lead the flop, and he'd raise with anything, so I reversed on him. I was pretty convinced that his read on me was that I was defending my blinds against aggression with or without a hand, and I thought the c/r on the flop would give him pause about whether I had something or not.

Actually most of the hand was played in this way... I checked the turn to him because I figured he'd expect me to bet out again if I had a hand. Hoped the the check/call there would get me an extra bet on the river when a raise or bet might make him fold a bluff hand.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't lead the flop only because I was 99% certain he'd bet and give me a chance to hit him. I read his play preflop as a complete blind steal, and wanted to confuse and charge him the maximum for the play. Knew he expected me to lead the flop, and he'd raise me if I did, so I reversed on him. I was pretty convinced that his read on me was that I was defending my blinds against aggression with or without a hand, and I thought the c/r on the flop would give him pause about whether I had something or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
You 3-bet preflop, then don't lead? I think you "confused" him into playing correctly. I think you have to lead, call a raise, assuming he'll do it, then c/r the turn. (This is straight out of Stox's book FWIW.)

Looking forward to the results on this one.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 PM

Hyperrrprank, in the future I'd like the 9/18 and below hands to be posted in Small Stakes.

There have been an increasing number of limit hands posted in all forums recently, which is great, and to make sure every thread gets its due attention, I'd like to keep Medium Stakes open to the limits listed in the sticky.

I'm aware there are exceptions, like andy's 60/120 hand, and I don't want to be too strict about it -- but this is just a general note to make sure that 9/18 hands aren't put here by default.

As for the hand, I don't like the flop play. I would bet/call there, then I'd bet the turn and the hand plays out much differently.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 PM

I did post this in the Small Stakes forum, and it got moved here. It was very frustrating, since i posted a 9/18 hand here the other day and it got move to Small Stakes. I'm happy to post wherever, but right now I'm stuck in a limbo where people move whatever I post either way.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 PM

I guess the cool new thing is backwards poker because your flop and turn play make no sense.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:54 PM

Your flop-turn logic is retarded.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:58 PM

thanks for the insults. I posted the hand to figure out if the play was correct, and if my reasons for making it (the opponent was good enough to know the correct play, and I wanted to take control of the hand by keeping him guessing) were valid.

"Your logic is retarded" is fun and all, but I participate in this forum to get advice and discuss poker, so if you're not going to explain your response is pretty useless.
Closed Thread