Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 06:54 AM

Default My PF game needs help.

I've been playing a lot of live, and it's been very profitable but I've caught myself making some very -ev PF decisions. The first is that I'm playing far too loose, and it arises out of seeing how horrible everyone is at postflop so so I, correctly, feel that I can make normally unprofitable hands profitable. The problem, however, is that I'm taking it too far...

I'm limping on the button with hands like 85o, calling 10x BB raises with JTs, Calling off 10% of my stack with small pocket pairs OOP, Calling with AJo out of the blinds, etc. The catch is that I absolutely know when I'm making the incorrect play, and I'm sure it's not a bad leak because I play far better postflop than most of the people in the room.

Theres a difference between knowing the correct play, and following through and I'm guessing I'm lacking a little bit of discipline since I'm use online. Just wondering if theres anything you guys do to deal with it.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: My PF game needs help.

When I play live, which is mainly 2-5 and 5-10, I sometimes do this, since the speed is so slow. But then I remind myself these idiots are happy to hand away money and spewing sucks. I'd say bring an IPOD or a magazine so you don't spew. Also, I watch every hand intently and make mental notes and try to figure out what people have. That can help you pass the time between hands and not allow yourself to donk off bit by bit. In live loose-passive games, playing loose-passive also can't be as +EV as waiting and being hyper-monkey-aggro when you get hands.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:14 AM

calling 10% of your stack w/ pocket pairs OOP isn't that bad unless you're doing it HU. in multiway pots it's +++EV.

i hate the suggestion of a magazine or ipod because it makes you look like a nit - even dummy live players pick up on that.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:41 AM

Throwing away AJo for a single (normal) raise live is almost impossible because of the speed..