Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Help, I suck at marketing

I'm in grad school for engineering, and I love the puzzles involved in mechanical design, but I have another passion. I have always said that I would give up engineering in a heartbeat if I could be a successful magician. I'd accept a slightly lower salary, but I wouldn't want to be doing birthday parties all day for the job. The fact is, at the risk of sounding immodest, I am a kickass magician. I have a great stage presence and personality, and I get sincere compliments from my audiences all the time. I've been performing for 18 years, and know all the ins and outs of magic performance and presentation that separate the great wizards from the mediocre.

But enough with the self-praise. My problem is that I am absolutely terrible at magic marketing. Back in high school I never held a job because I did birthday parties fairly regularly. Towards the end, I got a job at a local restaurant doing tableside magic. After I went off to college, though, my performances gradually died down. Now I barely do a couple per year, although I haven't really been trying, either.

I'd really like to get back into it, and I need some help. I have a target audience, but I'm not sure how to get to them. I hate doing birthday parties and kids' magic. Often when I approach a restaurant in the past, the response I get is "oh this would be great for all the kids we have." The kind of magic I like to do is sophisticated and funny. I want adults who thought that magic was just for kids to be blown away and entertained. The obvious venue I have thought of is corporate events and private cocktail parties, but there must be others. What other sorts of venues are there, and how do I target this audience?
Old 01-26-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Help, I suck at marketing

for one create a small website showcasing your magic and let them book you online, two put ads in local papers and what i would do is videotape some of your best tricks and magic and post it on you tube and then watermark your websites address into the video. If you are any good then you will see some results
Old 01-26-2007, 03:06 PM

Just approach as many local places as possible from restaurants to theatres and offer to do a free show. If you are as good as you say you are then you'll be able to impression the person you're talking to into letting you do it for free and you'll get asked to come back at which point you negotiate a fee.

After that you'll get lots of requests from people who see you and want you to perform at various events.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:13 PM

You have the confidence, just put yourself out there in the ways listed already. If you're good you'll start to get recognition.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:18 PM

Part of my problem is I hate approaching someone cold. I have no problems being on a stage, but for some reason when it comes to marketing myself, I'm a wuss. I've always wanted people to approach me looking for magic, rather than the other way around. When you mention "magician" to someone, usually the first thing they think of is a birthday party hokey guy, not someone in a tailored suit doing high-class magic for adults.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:49 PM

Im kind of the same way about not wanting to do cold approaches but that just means you have to promote yourself through print and online sources all the more strong. Good luck
Old 01-26-2007, 04:08 PM

Magic_Man, that's why you show some of your stuff online. It's hard to get the message out there without a video of some sort, so like another poster mentioned try YouTube so that people get an idea of what it's really about.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:29 PM

From a marketing standpoint, you're gonna have to get over your fear of coldcalling. What's the worst that they'll say? I think you should schedule some informational interviews with some event planners in your area. As party planners, they can probably give you a pretty good idea about the market for your performance skills and maybe even start hooking you up with some jobs at higher-class events.

For restaurants, I remember a few years ago that a brunch place we would go to all the time had a wandering magician who was fantastic, but this place was also a drunk-fest for Sunday brunch, so the tableside magic act fit right in with the atmosphere. Think about which restaurants would be best suited for your type of magic -- no kids, fun atmosphere, interesting crowd and mix of people. One issue that many people don't really want to be disturbed while eating dinner, so you have to pick the restaurants smartly.

My thoughts for now...good luck!
Apoc
Old 01-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Magic Man,

How bout a myspace page where you post magic tricks or routines from you tube? I think that could be a huge resource for someone like you.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm in grad school for engineering, and I love the puzzles involved in mechanical design, but I have another passion. I have always said that I would give up engineering in a heartbeat if I could be a successful magician. I'd accept a slightly lower salary, but I wouldn't want to be doing birthday parties all day for the job. The fact is, at the risk of sounding immodest, I am a kickass magician. I have a great stage presence and personality, and I get sincere compliments from my audiences all the time. I've been performing for 18 years, and know all the ins and outs of magic performance and presentation that separate the great wizards from the mediocre.

But enough with the self-praise. My problem is that I am absolutely terrible at magic marketing. Back in high school I never held a job because I did birthday parties fairly regularly. Towards the end, I got a job at a local restaurant doing tableside magic. After I went off to college, though, my performances gradually died down. Now I barely do a couple per year, although I haven't really been trying, either.

I'd really like to get back into it, and I need some help. I have a target audience, but I'm not sure how to get to them. I hate doing birthday parties and kids' magic. Often when I approach a restaurant in the past, the response I get is "oh this would be great for all the kids we have." The kind of magic I like to do is sophisticated and funny. I want adults who thought that magic was just for kids to be blown away and entertained. The obvious venue I have thought of is corporate events and private cocktail parties, but there must be others. What other sorts of venues are there, and how do I target this audience?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you REALLY dont want to do the small gigs, (not a good idea IMO) have someone do them for you. Find some teenager thats interested in magic, hire them on and train them in your style.... and then pay him half of what you charge because he's an "apprentice"
BOOM! residual income with free word of mouth advertising too.