Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2006, 10:31 AM

Default Someone Please Pass a Resolution on Sudan!

The killings and rapes continue and the country is still a place of horrors.

For the love of God, will the UN please pass a resolution on Sudan. I suggest a really strongly worded one because the killers wont listen to one that isnt tough. I would even recommend writing in the resolution that if the killers dont stop they can expect tough action from the UN, including even more harshly worded resolutions.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Someone Please Pass a Resolution on Sudan!

Dude, the people being killed in Sudan are black Africans. No one cares about Africans. Do you seriously expect a UN force to go in there with dozens or possibly even hundreds of casualties, just to save a hundred thousand black Africans? You can't even see them dying on TV.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, the people being killed in Sudan are black Africans. No one cares about Africans. Do you seriously expect a UN force to go in there with dozens or possibly even hundreds of casualties, just to save a hundred thousand black Africans? You can't even see them dying on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]No. I just want them to pass a really strongly worded resolution. I was told that approach would have worked for Iraq. Why wouldnt it work for Sudan?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. I just want them to pass a really strongly worded resolution. I was told that approach would have worked for Iraq. Why wouldnt it work for Sudan?

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 09-26-2006, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. I just want them to pass a really strongly worded resolution. I was told that approach would have worked for Iraq. Why wouldnt it work for Sudan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. Seriously though, nobody argued that there should only be a resolution in Iraq. People argued that there should be inspections, sanctions, diplomacy, etc. It is only the bomb first ask questions later crowd who suggested that the pansy liberals only wanted to pass a resolution. Your inability to see the difference (you instead choose to propagate the myth) speaks volumes as to how effective the propaganda machine has been. The talk show circuit is filled with such false dichotomies (it was either bomb or just pass a resolution ---- as if those were the only two options that were available and/or being discussed.)
Old 09-26-2006, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. Seriously though, nobody argued that there should only be a resolution in Iraq. People argued that there should be inspections, sanctions, diplomacy, etc. It is only the bomb first ask questions later crowd who suggested that the pansy liberals only wanted to pass a resolution. Your inability to see the difference (you instead choose to propagate the myth) speaks volumes as to how effective the propaganda machine has been. The talk show circuit is filled with such false dichotomies (it was either bomb or just pass a resolution ---- as if those were the only two options that were available and/or being discussed.)

[/ QUOTE ]

what was it, 11 years of resolutions ignored and failed diplomacy? Or was it only 7?

Yup, definitely a "bomb first" mentality.

The false dichotomy is prefacing this post with "Seriously", and then telling jokes.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Elwoodblues. How are you? It has been a long time.

I am not making a commentary of Iraq. The smartass shot was there so I took it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rather, I am commenting on how ridiculous it is to think there there is any kind of international mechanism to deal with genocide, wars, and slaughters. I am also commenting on how silly the UN is to run around and pass resolutions that no one pays any attention to.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Elwoodblues. How are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doin fine. Preparing to move from the great state of MN to IL and have been pretty busy with the whole thing. Plus, I was (and, frankly, still am) very put-off by this website, its moderators, and owners recently. I have a hard time supporting the site with my time, though I have enjoyed many of the discussions.

[ QUOTE ]
Rather, I am commenting on how ridiculous it is to think there there is any kind of international mechanism to deal with genocide, wars, and slaughters

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go out on a limb and say that the UN could be run better. I don't know enough about the Sudan situation to comment with any specificity, but I think there is certainly a greater potential for an international coalition/organization to be able to effectively (in both the short and long term) handle the situation than the country with biggest dick on the block waving it around.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:34 PM

I agree something needs to be done. However, hell is likely to freeze over before the UN does anything.

As per my research approximately 98 to 181,000 people have been killed in the area.

During Saddam's reign in Iraq, it is concluded that he is responsible for the murders of:

150,000 to 340,000 Iraqis,
1,000 Kuwaiti
100,000 Kurds killed or "disappeared".

So, based on history if a resolution is passed for Sudan, the enforcing country/countries are likely to catch hell for enforcing "strongly worded statements" followed by more "strongly worded statements".

Old 09-26-2006, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, I was (and, frankly, still am) very put-off by this website, its moderators, and owners recently.

[/ QUOTE ]I completely agree with that. However, I do like the sports betting forum a lot as it is extremely well run, there is a lot of mutual support and help with betting, and there is zero vitriol. That is where I spend most of my time on this site.

And, how can you betray our great state? Shame!!