Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel

Old 11-22-2007, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Help me plan a trip to Dublin & Glasgow

Hey PJ,

Nice play on Geosense.. Definitely rigged in your favour...even my work colleague thinks so !

Anyways on your trip to Dublin/Glasgow....

Dublin is great...Expensive out there for touristy stuff, but as you said you won't really be doing that you'll be fine... Its not that cold out there either...All my friends have been but I never have... But am planning to in the very near future...

Glasgow...I preferred Edinburgh, but compared to other cities in the UK, I wasn't a big fan of Scotland as a whole.

If you do go to Manchester...The sunday night would be the best night (10th) to go out on as opposed to a monday or tuesday ... however, I'm not too sure of exactly what goes on that early in the week in Manchester...I have many friends up there...I'll ask them what they would suggest...

If you did come to london...midweek is always pretty lively so I'm sure you would be able to do something...

So it depends on exactly what you wanted to do and how long you was over for...

If you were going to stay in London - I would suggest a Travel-Lodge or something... in fact, if you stayed anywhere in the UK, if you booked it that far in advance you would get it fairly cheap !
Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 PM

Probably be easier and cheaper to catch a flight from Dublin to Manchester or Liverpool.

Check out Ryanair and Aer Lingus. Flights from literally 1c.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:52 PM

Just wrote a long post and IE crashed so i'll give you the jist of it.

If you're coming to Glasgow on the Sunday and want a good night out for dance music then head to Subclub in the city centre for their 'Optimo' night. It's not trance, rather techno with some other stuff thrown into the mix but always a very good night.

Buses from Glasgow-Edinburgh are cheap, a few pounds. I'd recommend spending the monday in Edinburgh - it's a beautiful city.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Going to Edinburgh is a must if you're in Scotland. Glasgow is cool if you're into art/music/"new" culture etc, but Edinburgh is a great and legendary city.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) What's the best way to get from place to place? I'm thinking flying round trip from Los Angeles to Dublin, and in the middle having a round trip from Dublin to Glasgow for the second show, so we can hang in Glasgow too, but come back to Dublin to catch the flight back to L.A. Is this OK? Or should we just like take a ferry from Dublin to Glasgow and ferry back? Are there ferries? Are they cost-effective?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably your best bet. LA to Dub and then return flights to from Dublin to Glasgow. With Ryanair you'll flying into Glasgow Prestwick, about 30 miles from central Glasgow. With Aer Lingus you'll fly into Glasgow airport in Glasgow's suburbs. The boat isn't really an option as you'd have to get that from Belfast (about 2 hours on the train) and you'd have to get the train again when you get to Scotland to get to Glasgow.

[ QUOTE ]
3) I'd love some ideas of what to do in Dublin when we get there. We might arrive Fri. morning Feb 8, the day before the first show, so we'll have 36 hours on our own. Any recommendations? And what about lodging -- B&Bs? Hostels? Hotels?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hotels are relatively cheap and of a high standard. I'd recommend staying on the south side of the City, around the Stephens Green area.. It's probably the most central spot for nightlife. If you have a bit of time, the usual tourist stuff is good.. Guiness Hop Stores, Dublin Castle, Temple Bar etc.. More at http://www.dublintourist.com/

[ QUOTE ]
5) Weather -- I've heard Dublin doesn't get that ridiculous in the winter for some reason. True? I'm a pussy when it comes to cold weather so I'm afraid. Glasgow... aiya. It sounds like I'm going to turn into a block of ice. Is it really unbearable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dublin is fine during the winter.. Tradewinds from the carribean keep the weather settled and temps reasonable all year all year around. It's generally overcast with temps of about 4-8C, about 39-46F. Glasgow is fairly similiar although a bit colder.

Let me know if you need to know anything more.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:05 AM

PJ,

As a big pixies/frank black fan i'm verrry jealous!

You won't recognise my 2p2 name i'm sure since i stick to msnl, but i'm a student in manchester so i'll be going to his manchester show fo sho. Can't seem to find tickets or even tour dates on ticketmaster/seetickets etc (wtf is up with that?) but i'll just get one off ebay if i have to.

Of course feel free to pm me if you do decide to come to Manchester and have any questions/queries etc, hopefully i can help out in some way.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 AM

Im going to Manchester next weekend. Pretty cool city if you wanna go out n that. As far as Scotland goes, Iv only been to Glasgow breifly and although it seemed a cool city I prefer Edinburgh especially from a tourist point of view.

I wouldnt bother with ferrys n that just decide which city u wanna go to and fly there. Once there take trains if you wanna move around more. And book everything well in advance to save a whole bunch of £s.

Oh and when is FB's tour - couldnt find much via Google and would like to check him out. Only time ive seen him play is with Pixies at V-festival.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the help so far, everyone! Keep the ideas and tips coming!

Leadbelly -- here's the Europe schedule I have so far:

FEBRUARY

9 IRELAND DUBLIN VICAR STREET

10 SCOTLAND GLASGOW GARAGE (NME show)

11 ENGLAND Tbc

12 ENGLAND MANCHESTER ACADEMY 2 (NME show)

13 ENGLAND LONDON KOKO (NME show)

14 ENGLAND Tbc

15 Off

16 FRANCE PARIS ELYSEE MONTMARTRE

17 GERMANY COLOGNE PRIME CLUB

18 GEMANY BERLIN POSTBAHNHOF

19 GERMANY HAMBURG FABRIK

20 DENMARK COPENHAGEN VEGA (Small Hall)

21 Off

22 LUXEMBOURG LUXEMBOURG DEN ATELIER

23 SWITZERLAND LAUSANNE LES DOCKS

24 SWITZERLAND ZURICH ABART CLUB

25 Off

26 BELGIUM BRUSSELS BOTANIQUE (Orangerie)

27 HOLLAND AMSTERDAM MELKWEG

28 HOLLAND NIJMEGEN DOORNROOSJE

29 HOLLAND ZWOLLE HEDON
Old 11-27-2007, 07:42 PM

Another vote for "go visit Edinburgh while you are in Scotland". Glasgow and Edinburgh each have very central train stations, and it doesn't take long - this can easily be a day trip. Timetable here (in .pdf format).
Old 11-29-2007, 10:10 PM

Flying will be best.

Glasgow isn't very cold in winter; edinburgh will be colder most likely (east coast - continental land mass effect).

Cheap n easy to get between glasgow/edinburgh, but - unless they've changed since I left - the last trains/buses stop around midnight or so (had to sleep on a toilet floor once after staying for one pint of beer too many before running for the train station [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img])

edit: yeah, edinburgh is def worth a look - beautiful city.