Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM

Default What\'s Wrong With This Play? Stud Hi-lo

I was critisized for this play but i think i played it fine. not sure about 3rd and 4th but the rest was ok.
Hand history
7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.50/$1.00), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 8: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (7.20 SB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls

5th Street - (7.60 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (11.60 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (13.60 BB)

Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls

Total pot: (15.60 BB)
I put him on jacks to begin so raised to isolate him and when he re raised i wasnt sure what he had but at a 50c/1 table it could of been anything i knew it was atleast a call and didnt want to raise in case i caught bad on 4th and 5th and had to get away.then on 4th with a wheel draw for hi and and low and an overcard thought i had a reasonable chance to scoop it and a very high chance of at least escaping with 12outs for lo 3 times. then on 5th i thought he was drawing dead for lo as if he had 2 jacks he only had 2 lo cards with 2 to come and i had a shot at the high so should build the pot as i could scoop but couldnt lose. Any comments or suggegtions would be appreciated. Thanks to anybody that does.. Stevinchy
Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Re: What\'s Wrong With This Play? Stud Hi-lo

Honestly I don't understand all your explanation, I think the grammar and punctuation hurt my head. The hand looks played well to me though. Maybe I wouldn't have reraised on 4th, but everything else I would have definately done the same.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:21 PM

On 4th you are only slightly behind if he has a set and he really shouldn't 3bet you without one, but at .5/1 it's highly likely he doesn't know that and tons of people will quite happily put in 4 bets with 1 or 2 pair so I guess capping is usually profitable here. From 5th you're freerolling so stuff as much money into the pot as you can.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:18 PM

I don't see anything wrong with your play. I like that you jammed up 4th, and the rest of the hand was properly played, too. Nice hand.

The only thing that I'd like to address is the *reasoning* behind your reraise on 3rd street. You said that, you wanted to reraise so that you can isolate him, and that you put him on jacks, but when he raised you back, you weren't quite sure what he held. And, that is where I found fault; not *because* you chose to reraise, but *why* you did it. Thing is, you should be thinking more in terms of: wanting to reraise him so that you give yourself a better chance to fold off other low hands, and, by taking this hand HU, you will also have additional high outs to catch because you're holding an Ace (ie; if he has a pair and it's KK or lower, you may not need to catch a low in order to take half the pot, as hitting an Ace along the way can be another way to win the hand).

And, even if someone decided to cold call your raise with a low draw, you'd still be in really good shape because you're drawing to a great low. But the Ace is the key card in this hand and in this type of situation (ie; where you stand a good chance of playing the hand HU against a high pair type hand).
Old 09-04-2007, 05:52 PM

scoooooooooooooop
Old 09-05-2007, 12:21 AM

Thanks guys and sorry for the bad grammar....
Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 AM

Against decent opposition, maybe you slow down on fourth when the other guy three-bets, but basically, you should pound the hell out of this one at every available opportunity. I wouldn't pay much attention to the advice dispensed at a $.50/1.00 game.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:56 AM

i probably wouldn't cap it on 4th but it makes no substantial diffrence. Well played, after 5th the hand plays itself out