Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: $555 QQ - take it to value town?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm taking him to value town. Shoving seems best.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand are you putting him on here that can call a big bet that we beat here? I can't think of any and I'm pretty surprised people are suggesting this.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He has to figure you have a pretty good hand but the river is definitely a scare card for you. If he checks he has to figured you will be scared to bet a lot of the time, so it makes more sense for him to lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100%. If I had called down with a flush draw and hit on the river there is a near 0% chance I would check considering how the hand was played.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:00 PM

Um, did anyone notice his postflop aggression of zero? I check behind real fast.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm taking him to value town. Shoving seems best.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand are you putting him on here that can call a big bet that we beat here? I can't think of any and I'm pretty surprised people are suggesting this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you're right. The shove is fairly big (910) but any other bet looks like a value bet. I'm thinking he has something like 77 or 99. If he has a set he should be raising the flop or at least the turn but Pineapple does make a point about his post flop aggression.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A flush would also probably check this river to get value.

[/ QUOTE ]

People rarely check-raise the river. It doesn't make much sense here. He has to figure you have a pretty good hand but the river is definitely a scare card for you. If he checks he has to figured you will be scared to bet a lot of the time, so it makes more sense for him to lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Made flushes will check the river sometimes as they think it's the only way they can get value. Esp. a solid player at a higher BI. But I think this guy would need to be on some kind of combo draw, and it's hard to see him calling PF with that.

I still say 55 is as likely as 99 and therefore not worth betting. Weird hand. But all my instincts say check behind.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you bet top set? I don't really see the difference between the two hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
This post is really bad. Top set is a much better hand against what is basically a relative unknown because our ranges can't be that perfect. Thinking more I like betting really small if we get c/red on it would require villain making a very complex bluff involving floating two streets oop or turning 77 into a c/r bluff on the river.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:19 PM

DD, can we get some closure on this hand? I have to know.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:10 AM

I took the worst root. I shoved. He definitely had a flush, I'm pretty sure it was K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. In hindsight shoving is terrible, though I think there is some value in a small bet. WTF who checks a flush there?
Old 09-12-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I took the worst root. I shoved. He definitely had a flush, I'm pretty sure it was K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. In hindsight shoving is terrible, though I think there is some value in a small bet. WTF who checks a flush there?

[/ QUOTE ]

if he has a read on you and think you have a read on him:

- then he probably has you on an overpair when you fire the 2nd barrell

- if he bets 500 on the river, (and you have a read that he is a nit), you might fold that. hard for you to be ahead much if he leads 500 on that river.

- so he checks and crosses his fingers that you value bet the overpair.

so i guess the question is what would you have done if he bet 500 on the river? if you would have folded then his check is a ok. althoug i would v-bet something here if i was villian (like 350) just so you have to call with an overpair.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:22 AM

too late to write "check behind"?

i agree with little johns thoughts too.

though i dont like villains call preflop. On turn, he can only call w 4 drawing hands - J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], so its unlikely he hit it. But still, when the jack came out there, his calling range for river just diminished, therefore check behind in general.