Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 AM

Default HOH 1 and 2. But what about 3?

I just picked up HOH part 1. I want to get better at my tournament skills so I picked up this book. I also want to get more into live tournaments. Even though I may be an avg or below avg player with tournys I noticed that I've been cashing a lot more with tournys than NL cash game. As for cash game I'll be sticking to limit hold'em. I know this is a 3 part series, but even Harrington only refers to books 1 and 2 as a must read in part 1 of HOH. Is part 3 of the HOH series a must buy too? I also wanted to know if you guys know any other books that'll help me with tournament strategy and advice also websites would be appreciated as well. I want to take extra steps and even start playing more live tournys too.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: HOH 1 and 2. But what about 3?

If you like parts 1 and 2, just go and buy part 3, it's only $25 ffs. Poker books dont have to help all that much to pay for themselves.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:48 PM

HoH 3 rounds out the trilogy nicely - it is a must read. Despite the fact that it is 100% questions, he still covers new topics in addition to refreshing the reader on previous topics.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:54 PM

It's a must read. It's not so much the new info in it, but rather the way it helps confirm what you learned in 1 & 2.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:03 PM

I don't care for it that much. It is all problems and a lot of the solutions are wrong or questionable.

You are better off buying the Full Tilt Guide, Making the Final Table, or TPFAP.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:44 PM

You can't hurt yourself by reading everything and using that information to help refine your own style.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't hurt yourself by reading everything and using that information to help refine your own style.

[/ QUOTE ] I definitly need to refine my own style. I read some stats on my game play and I'm known as Loose and Aggressive. However, I need to refine my style and know when to switch my style. To aggressive or just super aggressive or conservative. I'll buy all the books.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:27 PM

It doesn't hurt.

That said, TPFAP is MILES beyond valuable in theory only.

Theory vs practical application is a harsh road, but my most profitable plays are due to concepts explained by Sklansky vs people who blindly follow Harrington.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, TPFAP is MILES beyond valuable in theory only.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true, HOH is great for building the framework for success imo. Might as well pick up the 3rd, its completely hand quizzes so you get to put the knowledge to use and see some alternate decisions
Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Typically I like to tell people to read HoH then TPFAP, though I read them the other way around.

I saw huge jumps in my game after reading TPFAP. I saw a larger jump during HoH. I saw the largest jump when I realized "Harrington really misconstrues X. Sklansky talks about it differently" and expanded off of that concept.

Best example of this is their understandings of short stack play, where Harrington explains zone theory and Sklansky provides a mathematical approach that is AMAZINGLY loose vs low M situations compared to Harrington's range. Harrington also values first to act too much over position, which I can guess was very true for when the book was written, but not as true in contemporary play, where many villains have read HoH and see your stack before they see your position.