Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Is Lidge Back!?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've done enough research in behaviorial psychology to know that those things do have significant effects in everything

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot show significance without statistical data. Without statisitical data, it's just faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the common sense of having played sports and knowing that it has SOME effect. People aren't robots. I don't see how people can completely discount the idea that a player (not just Lidge) might have their performance affected by their mental state-of-mind.

I do believe in stats for analysis, but this is something where I think you have to admit the mental side does play a part in performance, even if we can't track it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't possibly be true, stats are the only true measure ^^.

I was listening on the radio a couple of days ago, they mentioned that Nolan Ryan had by far the most strike outs in history and how far Roger was behind. The two guys then argued a little, 1 decided because of this and the fact that Nolan was on significantly worse teams that Nolan was in fact a better pitcher then Roger. I was then floored by the idiots they put on the radio.

I know wins are overrated but Roger has a better era in comparison to league era, better ERA+, better whip but not by much. Yes his winning % is higher but he's better for other reasons. I'm not trying to discredit Nolan either, he was one of the best ever but to say the reason Nolan is still that much better than Roger just b/c of the strikeout differential is crazy.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've done enough research in behaviorial psychology to know that those things do have significant effects in everything

[/ QUOTE ]

You cannot show significance without statistical data. Without statisitical data, it's just faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the common sense of having played sports and knowing that it has SOME effect. People aren't robots. I don't see how people can completely discount the idea that a player (not just Lidge) might have their performance affected by their mental state-of-mind.

I do believe in stats for analysis, but this is something where I think you have to admit the mental side does play a part in performance, even if we can't track it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are watching the games and seeing him pitch or act different, then wouldn't trying to make a judgment on how being a closer effects his mental state basically be attempting to draw a conclusion from one stat, his 0-3 on save opportunities?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between saying "there is no statistical proof of an affect" and "there is no affect".

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When the sample space is too small to back up claims, it doesn't validate the claim.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

countless studies do show it

there are whole fields of research: behavioral finance, behavioral economics, etc

are you trying to bury your head in the sand, or do you not believe in the scientific method?
Old 06-14-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are whole fields of research: behavioral finance, behavioral economics, etc

are you trying to bury your head in the sand, or do you not believe in the scientific method?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still not trying to understand this: there is a difference between saying "there is no affect of A on B" and "there is not sufficient evidence to indicate that A is having the proposed affect on B". And no, you can't say "well A had a statistically significant affect on C, D, E, and F, so it has an affect on A!".
Old 06-14-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still not trying to understand this: there is a difference between saying "there is no affect of A on B" and "there is not sufficient evidence to indicate that A is having the proposed affect on B". And no, you can't say "well A had a statistically significant affect on C, D, E, and F, so it has an affect on A!".

[/ QUOTE ]

EFFECT
EFFECT
EFFECT
EFFECT
EFFECT
EFFECT
EFFECT
EFFECT
EFFECT <font color="white">let me guess you wrote this whilst four-tabling/writing/watching tv/masturbating </font>
Old 06-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Just to be sure, effect is the noun, and affect is the verb, right? lol. I thought his paragraph looked totally wrong.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to be sure, effect is the noun, and affect is the verb, right? lol. I thought his paragraph looked totally wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:47 PM

I couldn't care less about how many strikeouts he gets after blowing a save, I just know it warms my heart to be out at the bars and catch a Sportscenter highlight of Lidge on the mound, crestfallen once more.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I couldn't care less about how many strikeouts he gets after blowing a save, I just know it warms my heart to be out at the bars and catch a Sportscenter highlight of Lidge on the mound, crestfallen once more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you hate Lidge? By all accounts, he's a real class guy.