Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 12:46 AM

Default Small Stakes Hold\'em book Preflop Recomended Hands

by E. Miller, D. Sklansnky and M. Malmuth

On pg. 81, Big Blind box, Against a Raise, Play:
"Same hands that you would play from late position for one bet, except remove the weak offsuit hands, AT, KJ-KT, QJ-QT, and JT. This leaves any pocket pair, many suited hands, AK-AJ, and KQ"

With the exception of a few hands irrelevant to this issue, the hands recommended played in this category in late position reference the hands recommended played in middle (which reference early position) and early position, and do not include nay of the listed offsuit hands in the quoted paragraph.

Is this an error? If so which hand recommendation is correct?

On another point.
"QJs-T9s"

Which is the correct interpretation?
1. QJs, QTs, Q9s, JTs, J9s, and T9s.
2. QJs, JTs, and T9s.

Finally, on pg. 81 and 83, the Small Blind and Big Blind recommended hands do not include the "Against a raise and a re-raise" category. Is this an omission by error? Should the recommendations for the other positions (which are all the same), be used?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Small Stakes Hold\'em book Preflop Recomended Hands

hmm. I dont guess I noticed this. I actually read it almost everyday cause its the only book in my bathroom right now. Guess I need to take a second look
Old 08-12-2007, 02:26 AM

Middle Position:

Play: AK-AT, KQ-KJ

Late Position:

Play: any 2 offsuit cards 10 or higher

Not sure why you don't see them in yours.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:07 AM

1. QJs-T9s = second interpretation
2. (your first point) In Late Position, SSHE (pg. 81) recommends limping with "any two offsuit cards ten or higher." I'm pretty sure this is all you're looking for....???

Nick
Old 08-12-2007, 10:18 PM

I think I understand it now. I missed interpreted the qualifier "Same hands that you would play in late position for one bet". Meaning refer to the "If there is no raise" category.

Is this correct?

Thank you, and thanks for the correct hand interpretation.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:53 PM

now I'm confused lol.

edit: I looked it over, it just refers you to what you would call from late position, which then refers you to mid, except for the exceptions noted. I'm going to make a chart of it to make it easier to understand for myself.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by E. Miller, D. Sklansnky and M. Malmuth

On pg. 81, Big Blind box, Against a Raise, Play:
"Same hands that you would play from late position for one bet, except remove the weak offsuit hands, AT, KJ-KT, QJ-QT, and JT. This leaves any pocket pair, many suited hands, AK-AJ, and KQ"

With the exception of a few hands irrelevant to this issue, the hands recommended played in this category in late position reference the hands recommended played in middle (which reference early position) and early position, and do not include nay of the listed offsuit hands in the quoted paragraph.

Is this an error? If so which hand recommendation is correct?

On another point.
"QJs-T9s"

Which is the correct interpretation?
1. QJs, QTs, Q9s, JTs, J9s, and T9s.
2. QJs, JTs, and T9s.

Finally, on pg. 81 and 83, the Small Blind and Big Blind recommended hands do not include the "Against a raise and a re-raise" category. Is this an omission by error? Should the recommendations for the other positions (which are all the same), be used?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I moved up from $1 to $5 SNG, I switched from the small stakes "loose" to "tight" guidelines, since the number seeing the flop is a good fit for PokerStars multitable sit-n-goes.

It works pretty well, except that when I switced to the "tight" guidelines, as you pointed out, the way it's written is so confusing that I couldn't figure it out and play online at the same time.

I finally dissected the guidelines and made actual lists of hands for each situation, (early position/if there is no raise), putting the list for each situation on an index card until I got them in my head.

I should add that the guidelines have worked out well for me, even though I use them for NLHE SNG, which was definitely not the intent of the authors.