Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Update on Townsend/Farha/Baldwin Game Monday?

i doubt anyone can actually beat the rake in these live games
Old 06-19-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its sad to see an obviously smart guy not use his brain or even wanna party like a rockstar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you have an interesting take on things. How about he is using his brain instead of just partying like a rockstar? Just because a lot of gamblers don't have any self control doesn't mean it's not a good thing. Wow.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is prolly the largest big bet poker game ever played. Too bad there aren't any journalist to write about it. SICK action.

I’d really like Brian to lose though. Only cause he seems so boring in that radio interview. “My car was my biggest purchase…” WTF! 8mil + in 2 years and you’re buying a 90k car and have barely traveled. Give it all to Bobby Baldwin or start living it up. I really hope it wakes him up. Its sad to see an obviously smart guy not use his brain or even wanna party like a rockstar. I guess that's how he got good though. Putting on blinders FTW.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand you. He should go broke, just because he doesn't spend several thousands Dollars on Champagne Bottles..........

Sorry but that argument is stupid

[/ QUOTE ]

Seemlike ABA very smart about this. He know in the long run he need much more cash to play. Very smart to save your $ and invest for your future than wasted it all on material things which not last very long.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its sad to see an obviously smart guy not use his brain or even wanna party like a rockstar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you have an interesting take on things. How about he is using his brain instead of just partying like a rockstar? Just because a lot of gamblers don't have any self control doesn't mean it's not a good thing. Wow.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. It's just always disturbed me that smart people are comfortable doing things like gambling long term. Bobby Baldwin makes more sense to me than Phil Ivey.

BT was gonna go for a degree in materials science, I'm not sure how that loses appeal when you don't have to worry about salary and can fund your own research. He could just be an inventor/researcher all day. That's gotta be more fufilling than playing poker, right?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's just always disturbed me that smart people are comfortable doing things like gambling long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it bother you that smart people are comfortable starting their own companies, too? often investing much or all of their time and money in single enterprises, that could fail for any number of uncontrollable reasons?

As a business owner, who has started and sold several businesses, I see no material difference between what I do, and what they do. The biggest difference is that the variables in poker are more obviously quantifiable.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's just always disturbed me that smart people are comfortable doing things like gambling long term.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it bother you that smart people are comfortable starting their own companies, too? often investing much or all of their time and money in single enterprises, that could fail for any number of uncontrollable reasons?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gambling is a means to an end to me. Nothing is produced and it's a zero sum game. How can that possibly fufilling long term? That's my question. I guess knowing he's better at something than any other is enough to make him happy, but I just can't relate.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Townsend isn't struggling for money right now...every game plays doesn't have to be a huge +ev situation. Maybe he just wants to have some fun, gain live experience, play with some of the best players in the world, etc.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gambling is a means to an end to me. Nothing is produced and it's a zero sum game. How can that possibly fufilling long term? That's my question. I guess knowing he's better at something than any other is enough to make him happy, but I just can't relate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you look for fulfillment out of your job?

Jobs are just a way to make some scratch. They aren't intended to help you become more self actualized.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you look for fulfillment out of your job?

Jobs are just a way to make some scratch. They aren't intended to help you become more self actualized.

[/ QUOTE ]
But after you have enough "scratch", why work?
Old 06-19-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But after you have enough "scratch", why work?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's a challenge, and something to do.

And besides, what's enough?