Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Cardplayer the circuit - Gavin Smith vs. Mike The Mouth

Seems to me that there is a sort of rivalry of who will be the main co-host of the circuit.

I enjoy listenning to Mike the Mouth, he seems really honest when he gives poker advice and seem to have a good heart and is genuinely friendly. On the negative side, he's not consistent, he frequently doesn't show up to the show because of all night card sessions or just disappeared with Scott Huff thinly disguising his frustration.

On the other hand there's Gavin Smith, who has just come from a big run at a recent WPT event win, he's consistent and always shows up on time. On the negative side, he doesn't seem to speak up that much unless asked a direct question (open up Gavin!). I like him, but seriously Gavin, be more outgoing on air!

So who do you think will remain as co-host of the circuit, the entertaining (sometimes annoying when steaming) Mike the Mouth, or the more shy but consistent and excellent player Gavin Smith?
Old 03-29-2006, 05:57 PM

Default Vote for Mike

Mike is so much more entertaining. Who can forget the times when he dropped a few f-bombs when talking with T.J. and Tom McEvoy. And the time Huff was disgusted with Mike's eating on-air. It does suck that Mike seems to be unreliable, but he just wouldn't be Mike if he was always on time.

Is Sebok in the running too?
Old 03-29-2006, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Vote for Mike

It seems like it judging from the recent Sebok exposure that the circuit has been receiving. He seems like a genuine type of guy and entertaining. But to be honest, he should at least get a bracelet or a WPT win under his shoulders first. Mike the Mouth is famous for his great WSOP main event runs, and Smith at least won a recent WPT event.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind hearing more of Sebok in the future.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: Cardplayer the circuit - Gavin Smith vs. Mike The Mouth

I like it better when Mike hosts because he says what needs to be said, even if we don't like to hear it.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Vote for Mike

[ QUOTE ]
But to be honest, he should at least get a bracelet or a WPT win under his shoulders first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would that make any kind of difference? Is he automatically 10x a better player if he wins one? And you know how easy it is since the best pros win at least one if not two every year--oh wait no they don't.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:24 PM

I thought the latest edition of the Circuit was real good. Sebok/Huff/Smith seem to have some good chemistry.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:26 AM

yeah im glad i got to hear sebok, i didnt much about him but he really seems to be a great guy after hearing that episode, i have listened to them all now, i must have more.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:57 AM

They'll take Matusow, whenever Matusow is available. Matusow is the only reason people started listening to this thing. Matusow is the star, and he makes the show interesting. I think Smith is good, and he talks about poker from the vantage point of his recent sucesses. Huff, Matusow, and Smith together may be the best combo.

All I know is that Sebok sucks. He ruins everything. He laughs like a girl, he's only played for 1.5 years, and he brings out the worst in Huff and Smith. It's all frat-boy time when these 3 get together. (socially frat, not real-college frat)

Sebok doesn't sound confident when he talks about poker. He sounds like he is repeating things that people have told him. OK, he made 2 final tables at minor WSOP events. But would anybody know his name if he wasn't Barry Greenstein's adopted son?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:09 PM

I'll take the contrarian viewpoint. I prefer Gavin Smith over Matusow. Matusow is definitely entertaining, but it seems to me whenever they are interviewing someone, Mike tends to interject, sometimes interrupt, with the answer of how HE would do something or some story about HIM. So sometimes where you'd like to hear the answer from the guest, it is sometimes shortened by Matusow's comments. Not that I don't want to hear Matusow's comments, but it just seems like the guest often has more to say on a particular point but is cutoff. Gavin does a better job of just sitting back and listening to what the guest has to say and interjecting a small comment or question where needed.

Basically if you could have The Mouth there for some preliminary commentary and questions and then get him out of the room for the interviews with the guests it would be much nicer.

Personal preference.

Eric
Old 03-30-2006, 03:19 PM

The person who consistantly shows up and meets their obligations, that's who will keep their gig.