Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: 25nl 2Pair v. shortstck on crap board

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A better line would've been to pot flop pot turn shove river, and I think my opponent stacks with most tens vs. this line.

[/ QUOTE ]
So your villain in this hand is mostly never folding top pair type hands. Which means you're going to have to make 2pr or better to win at showdown for the most part with SC type hands. And I am assuming this guy goes to showdown fairly often. Explain again how playing this hand OOP vs a station, shortstacked, is profitable when you gain minimal FE playing your draws aggressively?

[/ QUOTE ]
1) Because he won't charge me to hit my draw because he won't bet or won't bet enough. He's also not THAT shortstacked, and given that it's a limped pot, the pot won't get out of hand unless I allow it to, especially vs. a passive opponent.
2) Because I'm getting 5:1 pot odds
3) Because he's limping such a wide range that I'm not in bad shape... and don't forget that 78 can hit top pair just as easily as K5. If the flop comes J85 I'm ahead, and he's calling. Because he's passive I can play my hand optimally, even OOP, because he checks behind so I can get to showdown and not worry about controlling potsize. When he bets, I know exactly where I stand and can fold easily.

But seriously, the answer to your question is much too complex for me to answer in a single post, though I'll do my best with some semblence of brevity. It basically comes down to the fact that I can play postflop poker well enough that I can do more than value bet TPGK+ and c/f anything less. I can determine the RANGE of hands my opponent is playing with, and determine how I fare against that range. I take what I know of my opponent and extend it to how I believe he will react to certain situations, and then use that knowledge to exploit his reactions to give me profit.

For example:

I limp 87s, flop comes J85hh. I lead and am called. I know my opponent likes to play too many high cards, so although this is such a drawy flop his range is more likely to be centered around a pair here than a draw. Opponents that always like to limp/call A3o or Q9o are this type.

Same flop, but this opponent likes to play suited cards. Now his range is more aligned with the many draws on the flop.

Postflop poker is about getting a feel for the texture of a flop, discerning what holdings your specific opponent is likely to have in the situation you've presented him, and then judging how best to profit now that you've made your analysis. If your opponent is a station, value bet a wider range: Yes, that includes middle pair. He probably will look you up with 77 since you have such a loose aggressive image.

Another opponent is a thinking TAG, and you can analyze a texture and your opponent's range to know when to double barrel bluff, even at the micros. Position certainly helps in such situations, but it's much less important vs. passive players that bet such a narrow range that they're liable to check 3 streets with TPGK.

It's clear to me that you've committed yourself to some kind of system that you've decided is tantamount to higher poker understanding. It isn't. Poker understanding is all about adaptability; that's why I'll be playing 4 tables and be running 40/35 at one and 16/15 at another.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: 25nl 2Pair v. shortstck on crap board

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A better line would've been to pot flop pot turn shove river, and I think my opponent stacks with most tens vs. this line.

[/ QUOTE ]
So your villain in this hand is mostly never folding top pair type hands. Which means you're going to have to make 2pr or better to win at showdown for the most part with SC type hands. And I am assuming this guy goes to showdown fairly often. Explain again how playing this hand OOP vs a station, shortstacked, is profitable when you gain minimal FE playing your draws aggressively?

[/ QUOTE ]
So you're saying that 78s needs two pair to beat top pair which villain apparently flops 100% of the time and can never fold.

Not only is this horribly wrong and nitty/monsters under the bed etc., as wotttt or whatever said you obviously aren't putting opponents on a range of hands at all, you're just assuming they always have top pair and won't ever fold.

PS 78 can still flop top pair, DUCY?