Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Default 25NL bottom set on rainbow flop against station - deep

Villian is 72/13/1.6 total station, but he has been hitting gutshots and even backdoor straights all day and taking a lot of chips off the better players at the table. I am 13/8/5 on the table that day if that matters.

This is the first hand I'm posting, and I'm wondering how my play is on all streets. I'm terrified of the river so I just check behind in position because I wouldn't know what to do facing a shove. However afterwards I realized that I haven't seen this guy make any huge bluffs, so I thought maybe that was a big mistake. Maybe I should have bet $7 / folded to a shove?

On the flop I bet light because he was folding to some of my c-bets after I took a couple big pots off him. I was actually hoping he was on some weird straight draw and I was trying not to price him out on the turn (by that I mean I thought he would still take bad odds, just not atrocious odds), and then I was going to try to get him to bluff raise a weak bet on the river, but when the straight card hit I didn't know what to do. And again I didn't remember that he hadn't shown any real bluffs at this point.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($40.10)
UTG ($26.30)
MP ($13.75)
Hero ($74.75)
Button ($25)
SB ($39.55)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.5</font>, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $0.40, BB calls $0.25.

Flop: ($2) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, SB folds, BB calls $1, MP folds.

Turn: ($4) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, BB calls $3.

River: ($10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $10
Old 09-06-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Re: 25NL bottom set on rainbow flop against station - deep

you absolutely MUST met more on the flop, bet closer to full pot please. You really want to build this pot big against a massive station. As played i check river too
Old 09-06-2007, 11:08 AM

Bet more on the flop. There are so many opponents in this pot that you don't have to worry about everyone folding. But you also don't want to allow a bunch of random hands to stay in this and possibly improve. Ideally, you'd like to get heads up here, so bet at least $1.50 and maybe closer to pot.

Turn bet is good.

You must value bet the river. Occasionally he will have a five here, but it is much more likely that he has Kx or some random two pair holding where he will pay off your river bet. Not betting this river is a big mistake. You have a great hand, and you need to get as much value as possible from it. Don't be afraid of the exceptional case. While he will show a five from time to time, that doesn't change the fact that value betting the river is a very +EV play. There are many situations in poker where your opponent *could* have some unlikely holding that beats you, but if that prevents you from getting value from your big hands against their much more likely marginal hands, then you miss out on a lot of money.

Now if he check-raises you on the river, you might start to think that he has a straight, but BET THE RIVER, and then see how he responds
Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 AM

Against a calling station, not potting the flop is terrible. Bet turn and river. Making $5 on a set against a fish is missing huge value.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:07 AM

pot flop, pot turn, pot river. problem solved.

He rarely has you beat on any street.